how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rshapiro

@verizon.net
reply to rshapiro

Re: Want to switch from MoCa to CAT5, no STB's, just TiVo

One last question, as I may do this today. The replacing the actiontec FAQ says to call FSC and verify on the Actiontec that the connectivity is Ethernet not COAX, so is this necessary to do prior to switching to my router? Or should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop. I am not sure how long it will take to pull a new public IP once the actiontec is replaced.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
said by rshapiro :

should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop.

No. The method in the FAQ is there for a reason.

The reason to have the Actiontec come up on ethernet first is that if there is any problem coming up on ethernet VZ will want to troubleshoot with the Actiontec in place on ethernet.

It can take two hours to acquire a new DHCP lease if you don't properly release it as described in the FAQ.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

rshapiro

@verizon.net
ok, thanks a lot More Fiber! This forum is amazing, i'll let you know how cutover goes...

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to rshapiro
said by rshapiro :

should I call them, disconnect, and replace in one fell swoop.

Another reason is that if you want the ONT set up for ethernet and you've physically hooked it up, but the Actiontec is still WAN-connected by coax, when FSC makes the switchover, your downtime is minimal. Usually, they force a reboot on the router, and voila, it's done. Once the ONT is switched over to ethernet, then you can do the rest at your convenience.

If you post in the VZDirect forum, you don't know when they will make the change, and you sure don't want to be waiting for it to happen. Watched pot boiling and all.