share rss forum feed

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to dellsweig

Re: $100 a year to USE MS Office - lol

Sure there are a lot of alternatives out there. Problem is in the corporate environment you have a lot of custom written programs that just don't work on the "free" versions correctly.

The biggest one is Excel. People use it for so much more than what it is. Excel can be used to mimic Word, PowerPoint, and Access with pretty good efficiency. With this being said I think the biggest reason people stay with Office over the others is Excel (VBA) and the many custom programs that simply don't work right in the other versions of the free spreadsheets.

The casual user might not see the compatibility problems, but they are there. In fact for many the alternatives will work just fine.
--
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

The biggest one is Excel. People use it for so much more than what it is.

Yup. Excel spreadsheets are commonly used as a surrogate UI to a VBA program. Input data in spreadsheet "form" -> Execute VBA script -> Output data with quick access to charting.

I can see why - it's an easy way to distribute sharable software utility programs along with data, without the distribution headaches associated with full blown executable programs.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by djrobx:

The biggest one is Excel. People use it for so much more than what it is.

Yup. Excel spreadsheets are commonly used as a surrogate UI to a VBA program. Input data in spreadsheet "form" -> Execute VBA script -> Output data with quick access to charting.

I can see why - it's an easy way to distribute sharable software utility programs along with data, without the distribution headaches associated with full blown executable programs.

Excel pivot tables are the bomb, though.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us