IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Thinking of adding a 3DS to my collection also

Along with the Wii U (that I bought a few weeks ago), I am thinking of adding a Nintendo 3DS to my arsenal of gaming consoles. I would like opinions please.

I made the mistake a few years ago of buying the original Xbox when it was nearing end of sale (around 2005). I don't want to buy the 3DS if it is nearing end of sale. I would also like to know about the assortment of games out there as well for the 3DS.

I would also like to know if it is backwards compatible with the orginal DS games and if its Wi-Fi radio supports WPA 2. I have a DS lite but it is useless as the Wi-Fi only supports WEP.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

Along with the Wii U (that I bought a few weeks ago), I am thinking of adding a Nintendo 3DS to my arsenal of gaming consoles. I would like opinions please.

I made the mistake a few years ago of buying the original Xbox when it was nearing end of sale (around 2005). I don't want to buy the 3DS if it is nearing end of sale. I would also like to know about the assortment of games out there as well for the 3DS.

I would also like to know if it is backwards compatible with the orginal DS games and if its Wi-Fi radio supports WPA 2. I have a DS lite but it is useless as the Wi-Fi only supports WEP.

I can answer a few of those questions, my daughter has one. Yes, it's compatible with the original DS games. We have an assortment of both. And yes, the Wi-Fi does support WPA2. That's the setting I have on my wireless router, and I have no problem with getting it to connect properly.

The selection of games...I won't lie. I'm not impressed. The games that we do have are fun, but whenever holidays have come around since we bought it I'll look at the list of stuff that's been released and find I'm not (or she wouldn't be) interested in most of it. If there are certain games on the market already that you're definitely interested in being able to play, invest in it.

Actually, I'm on speaking for the 3DS, I guess, not the newer 3DS with the larger screen. I'm not sure which of them you'd be investing in, or what if any differences there are between those two models. I'm fairly content with the screen size of the original.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I am probably likely to buy the 3DS XL. The reason I decided to buy a 3DS is I was in a GameStop playing a demo of New Super Mario Bros 2. I always have been a fan of the Mario games since I was a young child and a social worker took me to his house to play Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt on his NES in 1990. I was 6 years old at the time. Now at 29 years old, I still like to play the Mario games (Super Mario bros, Mario Kart series, Mario Party series, etc).

I get paid tomorrow so I'll probably stop at Best Buy and pick one up.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I am probably likely to buy the 3DS XL. The reason I decided to buy a 3DS is I was in a GameStop playing a demo of New Super Mario Bros 2. I always have been a fan of the Mario games since I was a young child and a social worker took me to his house to play Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt on his NES in 1990. I was 6 years old at the time. Now at 29 years old, I still like to play the Mario games (Super Mario bros, Mario Kart series, Mario Party series, etc).

I get paid tomorrow so I'll probably stop at Best Buy and pick one up.

I definitely think you'll enjoy it. Since you like Mario games, take the opportunity to check out the Mario and Sonic London Olympics game as well. That's pretty fun.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
3DS is compatible with DS games. It just doesn't have the GBA slot that the DS lite did.

DS games will still require WEP for the most part. Only DSi-mode and 3DS games will be able to support stronger WiFi security.

Of the two, the 3DS XL has a longer battery life stock vs. stock. But if you can get one of the Nyko extended batteries for it, the 3DS can last a pretty good while off a single charge.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I would suggest a 3ds XL. You will have huge pixels, but the 3d works so much better.

danawhitaker
Premium Member
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

3DS is compatible with DS games. It just doesn't have the GBA slot that the DS lite did.

DS games will still require WEP for the most part. Only DSi-mode and 3DS games will be able to support stronger WiFi security.

Of the two, the 3DS XL has a longer battery life stock vs. stock. But if you can get one of the Nyko extended batteries for it, the 3DS can last a pretty good while off a single charge.

Regarding the WiFi security - it's game-dependent? All I did was apply settings in the main options. I never have had to do anything in individual games for anything, but I was thinking mainly about just getting the 3DS online and downloading system updates more than anything when responding.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Only if you play original ds games multiplayer. Original ds games could only use WEP for some dumb reason...

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to danawhitaker

Premium Member

to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

Regarding the WiFi security - it's game-dependent? All I did was apply settings in the main options. I never have had to do anything in individual games for anything, but I was thinking mainly about just getting the 3DS online and downloading system updates more than anything when responding.

The original DS couldn't support anything more than WEP for WiFi security.

The DSi was the first to finally update the WiFi hardware to support newer protocols, but if the games weren't compiled to be 'aware' of the added hardware that a DSi would have, it wouldn't be allowed to use it.

Of course the trick is then keeping aware of which such games are "aware" and able to use newer security, if you're playing those original DS titles. This obviously isn't a problem if you're playing 3DS games.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I've been on the fence on getting one myself. There are a few games I'd be interested in, like Orcarina 3d and Megaman Zero collection, ZX and Advent. Don't really have the money to put down on one at the moment tho.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I picked up a 3DS XL at Best Buy yesterday. The sticker price said 169.99 but it rang up 199.99 so they honored the 169.99 price. In Massachusetts, you are entitled to the lower price if the scanner rings up a higher price than what is stated on the sticker.

I also picked up a copy of New Super Mario Bros 2 as well. I already made it up to world 5 within the first couple of hours of playing. I guess nearly 20 years of playing various Mario games paid off.

I am also thinking of picking up a copy of Mario Kart 7.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

How are you liking your 3DS so far? Fairly well, would be my guess, if you are that far along in New Super Mario Bros. 2 and looking to pick up Mario Kart 7.