how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WASD John

join:2006-09-14
New Orleans, LA

[LA] Cox LA Network Upgrades Soon?

I was surprised to see that no one has mention the Cox HSI upgrades that are now live in Baton Rouge. Premier went from 35 to 60, while Ultimate went from 60 to 185. I have also heard that these upgrades are headed to the New Orleans market as well. Since I live in New Orleans this matters most to me, and I want to make sure I'm ready when they arrive.

Any Cox tech care to give a timeline on the network upgrades reaching New Orleans? Also I hear that to take advantage of the new Ultimate speeds that the customer will need to have an 8 channel bonding capable Docsis 3.0 modem (like the Cisco Model DPC3010).

Thanks in advance!

zac2003

join:2002-02-24
Oklahoma City, OK

I wish they would announce the Oklahoma upgrades as well....

bertbus

@accelerint.com
reply to WASD John

I just read about the new speeds in Baton Rouge as well, hoping to see these in New Orleans soon.

New Orleans

Greater Louisiana

Gardentool

join:2013-01-18
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to zac2003

zac2003, That would be nice. Online sales did tell me all markets are suppose to receive the upgrades soon. They suggested contacting the local customer service to see if they had a better timeline, but I haven't gotten around to doing that. Interested in those Ultimate speeds after it happens.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to WASD John

If Baton Rouge received the speed upgrade, then New Orleans and it's surrounding areas aren't too far behind, probably just a couple months.

I remember months ago, upstream channel bonding *was* enabled here, just outside of New Orleans. Cox turned it off after a few weeks though. So I'm sure the hardware is in place...I can't wait for the new speeds though. 10Mbps upload sounds pretty nice!

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to zac2003

Same here.. waiting for it in OKC/Moore area!

unfeo

@cox-sd.net

Still have not heard anyone seeing an upgrade in CA either.

mr_anon_name

@cox.net
reply to WASD John

I'm from the Iberia Parish area, This is my speed test as of today:

I tried a test download of an ubuntu iso. The speed seems to bounce between 24Mbps down to 5Mbps and yo-yos in between. Its been hard trying to find a consistently fast server to test against without speed boost getting in the way.

For what its worth I have one of those VoIP Arris dust collectors.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

said by mr_anon_name :

I'm from the Iberia Parish area, This is my speed test as of today:

I tried a test download of an ubuntu iso. The speed seems to bounce between 24Mbps down to 5Mbps and yo-yos in between. Its been hard trying to find a consistently fast server to test against without speed boost getting in the way.

For what its worth I have one of those VoIP Arris dust collectors.

Really you aren't going to see much more than that with most websites. You'll mainly only see those speeds with bulk download services, e.g. steam, heavily seeded torrents, usenet, and the like.

Most web services don't have the bandwidth to go around offering every single person 50Mbit transfer rates, so they throttle it. If they didn't, at that speed you'll bring a T3 or an OC-1 to its knees. Three of you will bring DS4 or an OC-3 to its knees.

Where I worked last summer, we ran a mini datacenter with only a 50mbit pipe.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
reply to WASD John

Four times the upload speed for Premier would be awesome. So much of what the typical user does is upstream-intensive. Even something as simple as FaceTime eats upstream bandwidth. Uploading photos or videos is also something that everyone does now.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

The gulfcoast seems to be left out, too..

-Rob

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to SlashG42

said by SlashG42:

Four times the upload speed for Premier would be awesome. So much of what the typical user does is upstream-intensive. Even something as simple as FaceTime eats upstream bandwidth. Uploading photos or videos is also something that everyone does now.

I don't think copper will ever suit that purpose well in any economical fashion. It's either fiber or bust if you want high upstream.

mikebagger

join:2004-08-24
Lafayette, LA
reply to WASD John

AMAZING!
This is my new speed on Premier in Lafayette:

allstar319

join:2012-08-22
Baton Rouge, LA

Nice to see preferred got a little lovin' too. Averaging around 32up/21down on a DPQ3212 in BR.

Can't really see Cox moving away from copper anytime soon, it'd be nice to have fiber. Sucks we didn't get Google Fiber.

SlashG42

Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

said by SlashG42:

I don't think copper will ever suit that purpose well in any economical fashion. It's either fiber or bust if you want high upstream.

Too bad you didn't read my post before trying to correct me.

Current Premier is 2.5mbps. New Premier is 10mbps. That is in fact four times the upload speed.

Please don't spread the FUD.

kv2009

Kenner, LA
reply to Rakeesh

said by Rakeesh:

said by SlashG42:

Not really...not with channel bonding. Bonding multiple upstream channels can provide a massive amount of bandwidth. Yes, fiber is amazing, but four upstream channels at 64QAM can yield upwards of 80Mbps of upstream line capacity, uncapped. Even bonding four channels at 16QAM will yield you a ton of speed, upwards of around 30Mbps or so, uncapped. Of course you more than likely won't see these kinds of uncapped speeds, but it's theoretically possible.

Now, imagine bonding eight upstream channels - that is a massive amount of speed for a cable connection.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by kv2009:

said by Rakeesh:

said by SlashG42:

Not really...not with channel bonding. Bonding multiple upstream channels can provide a massive amount of bandwidth. Yes, fiber is amazing, but four upstream channels at 64QAM can yield upwards of 80Mbps of upstream line capacity, uncapped. Even bonding four channels at 16QAM will yield you a ton of speed, upwards of around 30Mbps or so, uncapped. Of course you more than likely won't see these kinds of uncapped speeds, but it's theoretically possible.

Now, imagine bonding eight upstream channels - that is a massive amount of speed for a cable connection.

Well unless Cable ISP's can find/manage ways to reduce noise on the upstream, to be able to use higher QAM's to provide more bandwidth. They are still holding them self's back a lot, and will push them to a FTTH system a lot sooner then they would like. Because currently with the D3 system in place, the ISP's are stuck at a max of 5 upstream channel's, and the lowest of the upstream frequency's are just a headache to manage noise wise.

Reason why there is still the need for 16QAM on the upstream, as the current system's are to noisy, and they don't have no solution as of yet to this issue. I am not exactly up to the point with docsis 3.1, but I do think they have the option to open more space for the upstream. Which is gonna be the next key thing for cable network's, as far as more bandwidth capacity is concerned for the future.

capteeou

join:2003-11-03
New Orleans, LA
reply to WASD John

Click for full size
What's the maximum number of bonded channels that Cox is using in Louisiana right now?

I'm in New Orleans and I have Motorola 6120. It looks like I have four downstream channels and three upstream. My modem started bonding upstream about a week or two ago.

This is what my signal page looks like.

kv2009

Kenner, LA

said by capteeou:

What's the maximum number of bonded channels that Cox is using in Louisiana right now?

I'm in New Orleans and I have Motorola 6120. It looks like I have four downstream channels and three upstream. My modem started bonding upstream about a week or two ago.

This is what my signal page looks like.

I know when upstream bonding was enabled here, I was bonding 4 16QAM channels @ 2.56 Msym/sec. But your upstream frequencies are different than mine - as are your downstream frequencies. So chances are that you might only have three for now.

SlashG42

Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast

When they were upstream bonding in 70006 and 70002, it was 2 channels first for a couple days. 70006 was 3 channels for maybe 2 days. Both were eventually 4 channels. They switched upstream bonding off in Metairie almost a year ago I think?

Was getting 20-30MBits/s upstream for a week or so.

I think it was 16QAM / 2.56MSym/sec.

ZR

@cox.net
reply to WASD John

The only upgrades NOLA has seen recently is an "upgrade" in price. Last year, Ultimate increased $5.00 from $89.99 to $94.99, but yet speeds stayed the same. Recently (last month per se), I noticed yet another $5.00 increase in monthly rates to $99.99, and again no service upgrades. I understand the price increase is probably just to put us on par with everyone else paying $99.99 ~ $109.99 for Ultimate service, but raising rates and keeping service at the same level isn't reason enough to justify the rate increase. Sure, there is no real competition in the market, unless you consider the very laughable service AT&T offers as competition. Lafayette and Baton Rouge have only seen speed increases because real competiton exists in both markets, so therefore the largest city and population center in the state again gets the red headed step child treatment. Add that on top of lousy service, incompetent and unprofessional field techs, and awfully rude (!) customer service reps both in person and over the phone, at the local level.

WASD John

join:2006-09-14
New Orleans, LA

I can't argue with anything you just said as it is all very true. New Orleans IS getting the upgrades that Baton Rouge has it will just take time to get here. The Cox NOC is in Baton Rouge and they really like to roll out upgrades in their own backyard before going further out.

Lousy service from Cox or any telecom in the area is pretty standard. Try running an essential services business and being out of all telecommunications for almost 2 weeks. That was not very fun. Having a local street outage from only one telecommunication company (Cox) when I can see the multistory Cox building on airline from the business locations backyard only added fuel to the Cox service is crap fire for me.

I can't tell you how many times I have called customer service and really had a luck of the draw type of response. I hate that 9 out of 10 calls to customer service usually amount to me knowing more about how their network works than the person on the phone. It took years for them to catch up and know what a cable card was and even now getting one is like pulling teeth.

If something better was available I would jump faster than a lightning strike in my move to switch. Google Fiber would be real nice, but who knows how long it will be until they really start to be a competitor in more than 1 market. Cox can take that two year contract and shove it, but even with all these complaints about how they don't know which end is up they still are the ONLY option for HSI that gets speeds close to what most large market areas have, and that is a result of the government and how they allowed local services to come to various markets.

jalber

@cox.net
reply to WASD John

I'm in an area supposedly upgraded and I'm on premier but shaper probe still shows me getting 25mbps down 3mbps up :/ heck even cox's own tool shows me getting 10mbps down 2mbps up

TheKG

join:2010-06-29
Lafayette, LA
reply to WASD John

A little off-topic, but...

I have Premiere in Lafayette but haven't seen a speed increase. I called Cox to ask about it and I was told I need to bring in my Arris TM502G and get a new DOCSIS 3 modem. I have this Arris because I have a phone line with Cox. I was wondering if any of you could give me a heads-up on what my choices might be when I go into Cox to swap it out. I assume there aren't many choices for DOCSIS 3 modems that support a phone line. The support rep mentioned a new "wireless" modem that (if I understood her correctly) has a router with WiFi built-in? Is that any good?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3

The D3 eMTA cox uses is the Cisco DPQ3212, which handles there phone service, and also is a 8x4 D3 modem.

JDookie

join:2005-04-29
New Orleans, LA
reply to WASD John

Back before channel bonding was enabled, I use to check my signals almost on a daily basis due to outages, slow-downs, etc. Well, since channel bonding has been enabled and the Ultimate tier rolled out (I subscribed the day it became available) I haven't had a single problem since, so I haven't really checked on my signals until now, just because I haven't had a reason to (a very good thing). Well, after just being a little bored today, I went ahead and checked on my signals just to make sure everything is still in check, and I was shocked to see that I now have 8 downstream channels, and 3 upstream channels. Granted, my speeds have been spot on (60/6) since the day I subscribed to Ultimate, so the increased number of channels hasn't made any kind of difference, but it prompted me to come here to the forum just to see what the buzz is right now, and to see what's behind the increased channels.

Now that I'm here, I am SO excited to see the upgrades that we have to look forward to. 185Mb/s download speed is insane!! To be honest, I don't even know what I would do with all that speed, and may actually be able to drop back down to Premier to save a few bucks. Very exciting news indeed!

Just for kicks, here's a screen shot of my signal page:
I'm in 70124 by the way.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to WASD John

Like others have said here, the Cox service that I had for many years in Uptown was absolutely and utterly atrocious. I had constant drop-outs and just no help whatsoever with my constant internet problems. Guys came out....had absolutely no idea what they were doing....and my issues continued.

My parents still have Cox in Metairie and again, their service is just....downright abysmal with the same issues. Since my parents are a bit older and frankly don't care that much, they just deal with the issues and go on.

When UVerse came to me, I jumped at it and have been rather happy....except with the speeds Cox "may" be offering soon....I am tempted to switch

SlashG42

Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·AT&T Southeast

I've found that AT&T and Cox are both hit-and-miss in this area. If one doesn't work well at your particular location, call the other guys.

Most of my friends call me when their "internet is broken." I get calls from both AT&T and Cox users. The one thing I've seen from both companies is that when the issue is one that is not easily solved, it is usually never solved.

Cox never seems to fix problems with the plant or problems with upstream noise in the plant. If they can't get you straightened up by the 5th truck roll, your only fix is AT&T.

AT&T seems to have stopped their Uverse deployment around here. If it didn't come down your street, you're stuck with plain old DSL. AT&T will sell you DSL at the higher rates even when you're pretty close to being too far away. You usually end up downgrading speeds to get stability as a possible fix. In that case, your only fix is Cox.

mike012

@cox.net

Cox is doing some work in New Orleans to increase network speeds. At work, they recently increased the upload speed from about 2 Mbps to 16 Mpbs. Hopefully, increases in the download speed will come soon.

Cox's business prices are really insane: $260 a month for 13 down / 3 up.

taveanator

join:2000-10-05
New Orleans, LA

I'm seeing the same thing - looks like I'm bonding 3 channels upstream now: »i.imgur.com/wxKdBp2.png

I'm not seeing better upload speeds however: »www.speedtest.net/result/2518338767.png