spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Not necessarily the result of Google

We've seen the same actions in California, for two years, where TWC would automatically re-promo/re-rate us (downward) without asking -what I would call "Most favored nation treatment".

No Google required, and their rates have always been half that of Fios or less, regardless of whether one can get fiber.

I wouldn't worry about the incumbents.

Question is, when will Google charge less than $125 for their TV service? Will they survive, will they stick around for the long haul without special treatment? Will they offer a more reasonable price point for broadband, like Surewest and Sonic? Will they actually learn to do customer service?
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

said by elray:

We've seen the same actions in California, for two years, where TWC would automatically re-promo/re-rate us (downward) without asking -what I would call "Most favored nation treatment".

No Google required, and their rates have always been half that of Fios or less, regardless of whether one can get fiber.

I wouldn't worry about the incumbents.

Question is, when will Google charge less than $125 for their TV service? Will they survive, will they stick around for the long haul without special treatment? Will they offer a more reasonable price point for broadband, like Surewest and Sonic? Will they actually learn to do customer service?

Who is worried about the incumbents?

I personally have never given a damn about Google's TV offering and i actually think it's a mistake the way they went about it.

A more reasonable price for broadband? are you on crack? It's either free or 1000 megs for 70 bucks. and who gives a crap about your other concerns? not anyone i know off.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to elray

to elray
2 Things.

1.) Of course they charge you half of what fiber is being the product they sell is only about 25% the quality of fiber.

2.) Google doesnt sell their TV for $125. They actually sell it for $50 if I am not mistaken being that the 1GB connection you need for it is $70.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Kamus

to Kamus
said by Kamus:

Who is worried about the incumbents?

I personally have never given a damn about Google's TV offering and i actually think it's a mistake the way they went about it.

A more reasonable price for broadband? are you on crack? It's either free or 1000 megs for 70 bucks. and who gives a crap about your other concerns? not anyone i know off.

Google's service is not free.

The public does not buy in at $70/month, ergo, $70 is not reasonable. Verizon has proven it over the last 6+ years.

I suspect that Google is just plucking the low-hanging fruit, and will soon respond with a mid-price tier similar to that offered by Surewest and Sonic, but until they do, they will not beat CableCo.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

said by elray:

Google's service is not free.

It is after you pay off the installation. So yes, it becomes free soon enough.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

or damn close it breaks down to 2 or 3 bucks a month
which might as well be free

and there is no install fee for if you get the 1Gbps plan
elios

elios to Skippy25

to Skippy25
correct net alone is 70 and net + TV is 120 + taxes and fees
there are few add ons too if you want them i think for every thing its like 140? but that gets you the Starz and Showtime on top of a very good line up
»fiber.google.com/plans/channels/
AND a free Nexus 7 + 2TB whole home DVR + 1TB cloud drive

yea id say thats a killer deal
i dare any one to fined a better deal any where in the world
that would be worth 120 bucks on its own but it comes with a 1Gbps systematical internet connection too
switchman
join:1999-11-06
ARRIS SB6183
(Software) OPNsense

switchman to elray

to elray
said by elray:

They don't do this in the DFW area. Both my son and myself have internent only service. For both of us, we have had to call in to get the price we were paying for a plan dropped to the current market rate, not a promo. We were paying the old rate, TWC introduced a new plans that forced the rate for the old plan down. They did not drop our price until we called in
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to elios

to elios
You said anywhere in the world. Bad idea.

Part one of our package: Hong Kong's $20 1Gbps FTTH line.

»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 11-06-07

Since Google locks you into a 2 year contract, you've got a pool of $2880 + taxes and fees to work with. For convenience, I'll ignore the taxes and fees in this calculation. $20*24=$480, $2880-$480=$2400.

I'm not very knowledgeable on current TV pricing, so I'll set aside $50 for that. $50*24=$1200. $2400-$1200=$1200

Current price of a 2TB drive? $90 to $110, so let's pick..$100. $1200-$100=$1100.

Oh yeah, 1TB of online storage. $30/mo can get you a full VPS with 1TB of RAID'd storage, 10TB on fair-share of a gigabit, and 512MB RAM. Even better than Drive! The example provider in this case is BuyVM, who charges for 10 months if you order for 12. In this case, that's $30*(12-10*2=20), so $600. $1100-$600=$500!

Oh yeah, Google gives you a router too. Don't worry, $200 should buy you a high-end router without any issues. $300 left!

A Nexus 7? $200. $100 left!

Hey look! For $100 less than what you'd pay for Google Fiber over two years, you can get:

1Gbps internet (same as Google)
$50/mo to spent on dedicated TV service from whoever sells TV in Hong Kong (same or greater than Google)
A 2TB drive to store your media on (same as Google)
A 512MB/1TB/10TB@1Gbps VPS for 24 months, which should give you better performance than with Google, and can do quite a bit more than just store files (better than Google)
$200 to spend on a router — you can get a VERY good router for $200, quite certainly one better than Google
A brand new Nexus 7 (same as Google)

You asked for it. Maybe next time you won't say "anywhere in the world".

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios

nope.
no TV and no free Nexus 7 no 2TB home DVR and no cloud storage
TV alone runs 100+ for the same stuff you get with Google
and a 2TB HDD is not a whole home DVR your looking at another 2k for a good HTPC setup
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR

Actually, I found exact numbers from HKBN.

1Gbps + Telephone + TV = USD $68/mo

24 month contract, comes with FREE Samsung GALAXY Note II LTE (16GB), as well as a FREE gigabit 802.11N router (DIR-655).

$68 * 24 = $1632

-$600 for the VPS...

DVR? Just get a bloody NAS drive. A DS112J will run you $150, a 2TB drive is another $100. $350 for a complete home NAS that can act as whatever the fuck you want to to act as. Need a media endpoint? $100 can get you a roku or an Apple TV. Still need a proper DVR? I'm sure HKBN would be happy to rent you one, and I doubt it would cost more than $200 USD for the 24 months of rental with the prices HKBN charges.

To sum it up: The same or lower price as Google can get you:
1Gbps
Telephone
TV
Samsung GALAXY Note II LTE (16GB)
Gigabit router with 802.11N
2TB Synology NAS
1TB offsite VPS
Apple TV or Roku
A DVR of some sorts

With Google:
1Gbps
TV
Nexus 7
1TB offsite storage
2TB DVR thingy

Boom. Next argument please.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to switchman

Premium Member

to switchman
When I lived in Waco, they wouldn't even drop our rates once our promo expired. I switched between AT&T and TWC so often... they also competed with another cable provider, and Clearwire was very common there as well, in addition to having LTE from every carrier. lol