Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

3 edits

[iPhone] Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"?

In relation to this thread »Re: [iPad] 128 GB iPad 4 incoming......, I thought I'd ask...

Poll
Compared to the price you paid ...in terms of enjoyment functionality and convenience is the iPhone is worth

more

less

about the same

not sure

I don't own an iPhone

Votes:65

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

Re: [iPhone] Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"

I voted yes as the device (I have owned 4 different iphones over the years) has ALWAYS been traded in for the same or more than I paid for it.
In addition, I have never required service of any kind
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to haroldo

Value of iphone is $650. Which is what the carriers pay on your behalf.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

haroldo

united state

said by Alcohol:

Value of iphone is $650. Which is what the carriers pay on your behalf.

I know what you mean, but not really... you paid the full price, the carrier loaned you the money up front, in exchange... they charged you the money back over the term of the contract in the form of higher monthly prices.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to haroldo

I paid full price for my iPHone 5 64GB and I'd do it again. I use it all day long for a multitude of tasks. Most recently I used it to establish an OpenVPN tunnel to our datacenter and ssh into a problematic server and reboot it. All while getting gas at a gas station.

CruiserMD
Premium
join:2003-04-26
Beltsville, MD
reply to haroldo

iPhone 4: Only two words needed.....it works.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

It cost them $200 to make, which they then sell for $650. A PS Vita cost $160, and they sell it for $250.

haroldo

united state

2 edits

said by Metatron2008:

It cost them $200 to make, which they then sell for $650...

A Picasso sketch cost him $6 (a pencil and a piece of paper) to make but sells for $5 million.

Cost has never had any bearing on what the seller can ask for his product nor what the consumer feel comfortable paying.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

It cost 5 million TODAY, after the man has been dead for ages and the price went up.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
reply to haroldo

I'm weighing this out right now actually. For me, it's coming down to the iPhone 5 vs Samsung S3/4 vs Windows Phone (leaning toward the Nokia). I just upgraded to Windows 8, and to be honest, I like the new interface. It's fresh and functional, and I can see how it points to what computing will probably become over the next few years. Nothing is perfect... but Microsoft needed to make a bold move to stay relevant.. and a bold move they made. Time will tell on the relevance part.

I can't help but feel that Apple has lost its stride with innovation. The post-Jobs era has not been long in the making, and already Apple seems lost without its visionary leader.

In any case, I can get a VZ Nokia Lumia 822 Windows Phone for free. It's a tempting offer...

haroldo

united state
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

It cost 5 million TODAY, after the man has been dead for ages and the price went up.

Okay, there are a many artists whose current works sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars, or more.
The point is, price is determined by supply and demand. If there's enough demand (people sleeping on the street waiting to buy it when it becomes available) they can charge more. If not (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TouchPad) they can't.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to haroldo

I didn't vote and here's why...

It's a TOTALLY subjective question. Some people will buy an iPhone because it's the latest and "the best" where others will buy it because they want something that works with the fewest hassles. That being said some will buy it and do literally nothing with it, where others will learn everything they can about how it works, what apps they might want, etc.

I actually had a conversation with a person (older--in his 60's) that told me he was sorry he ever bought the thing and it was a waste of money. I asked him why he bought it--his response: the marketing told him he needed it. He didn't really bother to stop and think about it. He probably would have been happier with a phone that just makes calls and that's it. When I actually showed him what he could do with it, he changed his mind and was quite happy that he owned it.

So again...your question's poll results are completely in the eyes of the beholders if you will...
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to haroldo

Which Iphone?
As my wife got our 2 Iphone 4 for free with a contract to verizon, I'd have to say it was a good price. Now if the Iphone 5, then no. Mainly because I own an Ipad that cost around the same price as the 5, when it was first released. And seeing how you can buy a tablet for under 300 bucks.

But then again, I tend to shop on the cheap side.
And have yet to be disappointed because I do.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Expand your moderator at work

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to haroldo

Re: [iPhone] Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"

Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"?

Answer: YES, absolutely.

The only reason I got an iPhone is because I had a rather dissatisfying experience with Samsung's Galaxy S Android phone. Never again will I get a Samsung phone. This isn't due to any loyalty, as I always look for the best bang for buck. I'm not an Apple, Microsoft, or an Android fanboy in any regards. I'm a ""bargain shopper"' who looks for quality, longevity and resale. I don't care what OS, or ecosystem I use. I simply look at what is the best for me. There are some problems with Android phones as well as Apple phones. One has to due with functionality and the other is reliability. I would rather take a device that is lacking in OS design, rather than use a device that is cheaply made and unreliable. The boring is much more desirable than dealing with faulty hardware and cheap construction. If you want a smartphone that will last you a looooong time, with decent resale then the iPhone is good for you. It's worthy to note that the subsidized price is the same for the top of the line Android and iPhones, yet the iPhones retain their value better than the Android devices, otherwise I would not pay the premium for the iPhone...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
reply to haroldo

More. I'm on my 4th iOS handset. I actually like my iPhone 4 more than my 5. I would prefer a 64GB 4S over the 5 if the option were still out there. I'd really like an A6 in an iP4 chassis.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

It cost them $200 to make

No it doesn't.

And even if it did. Supplies aren't the only thing you need to cover.

Labor
R&D
Marketing
Shipping costs
--

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to haroldo

Nope. I think Android has surpassed on the flexibility and specs vs price front. Now they are catching up in stability. Don't get me wrong, the old iphone hardware I held onto since going to Android comes in handy. Mini network servers and such in a pinch. Going to stay with Android, but considering purchasing a Windows Phone for AT&T a friend is selling for $25. Just a toy to tinker with because I like knowing all platforms, to some extent.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to DarkSithPro

I had a rough time with the Galaxy S, myself. Had a Captivate and it was a PoS. Seeing afterwards the issues my friends had with other Samsung Androids and even hearing it from some more honest stores, never again will I own a Samsung. Have a Pantech Burst atm as my main. Other than a buggy updater that botches the ICS update(been fine since I worked around it and fixed it), it has been a great phone with great specs that didn't break the bank. Got my eyes on the LG Optimus G as possibly my next upgrade. Maybe an HTC One X as a backup option. Both brands have a much better track record in smartphones than Samsung. Too bad Samsung is the best known and most purchased name. They make Android look bad. As I have said before, popular does not mean good.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

haroldo

united state
reply to BellBoy

said by BellBoy:

I didn't vote and here's why...

It's a TOTALLY subjective question. ...

So again...your question's poll results are completely in the eyes of the beholders if you will...

thats the whole point of the exercise. Poll was a response to a person who said "it's (presumably Apple products) no longer a value" (sic), and I argued that it is, since each person has their own value set, where they determine which goods and services are worthy of trade for their currency.
I further argued that the outstanding degree of marketplace acceptance is an indication that many consumers consider it a good value (IMHO)

haroldo

united state

1 edit
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

said by Metatron2008:

It cost them $200 to make

No it doesn't.

And even if it did. Supplies aren't the only thing you need to cover.

Labor
R&D
Marketing
Shipping costs

uh...you forgot taxes (remember, they are a California based company), employee health care costs (which, if I had to guess are going to be rising), litigation (for example, some knuckleheads are setting up a class action lawsuit complaining that Siri doesn't understand them, contrary to the advertising claims....jackpot justice could yield a massive payday for the lawyers and claimants)
They also need currency to attract and keep the best and brightest minds to create the next generation of products. If Apple were to sell units at "cost plus", the share price would plummet (even further!)...many/all employees stock and stock options packages would be worthless. The talented would be lured to work at companies that are not foolish enough to undercut their profit margins (ever wonder why the smartest people usually end up working at the most profitable companies?)
Of course, the owners, who put up their hard earned money would like to see a return on their investment, too!

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I remember when Jeff Bezos said there are basically two kinds of successful companies: those that work hard to make you pay the most, and those that work hard to make you pay the least, and that either strategy can work.

Apple has earned its premium price based on its past innovation. But it is clear now by way of sales numbers that the average consumer is falling out of love with iOS and turning to alternate platforms. Apple needs to innovate again to earn its premium price. If not... it will soon look way too expensive when compared with alternate market choices (Galaxy S3/4 at the top of that list at the moment). And I would bet the carriers are getting tired of the high iPhone subsidies vs their less expensive counterparts.

For me... I parted ways with Apple when they EOL'd my 4ish year old MacBook, abandoning MobileMe for iCloud, which my machine was unable to run. What was I told? "Sorry, you'll need a new machine to access those services." I'm not interested in a walled garden where I'll need to keep buying premium-priced machines to continue to access content and services I've already paid or am currently paying for. That, the high price, and the lack of customization/innovation are what make me most leary of iPhone 5. I'm still undecided... but I'm starting to lean away from Apple...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Jeff Bezos should be more concerned about the kind of companies that lose a crapload of money.

Meanwhile iPhone sales appear to be doing just fine and despite all the whining had yet another record quarter, despite it being only 13 weeks instead of the usual 14.

haroldo

united state
reply to SwedishRider

Bezos is partially right. A successful company is one that gets every customer to pay as much as they want ... to buy your products. Every airline seat sells for a different amount...on the same flight.
If you price too low, you lose revenue as you leave ones on the table". I
f you price too high, you lose customers and sales.
Let each pay as much as they want and you win!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Bezos is not telling the truth. Bezos' statement should say there are two kinds of companies...those that create their own products and those that sell other people's products. Those that create and sell their own set the price for them. Those that don't have to compete with others that are selling the same item. We see this duality with the Kindle Fire...it's not the cheapest tablet around. Amazon prices it for profit maximization (where marginal cost equals marginal revenue), not at the absolute cheapest they can sell it for. Meanwhile their resale stuff is damn cheap...not because they love selling cheap stuff but because if they don't, it won't sell.

The truth is if Amazon could get away with charging more, Bezos would absolutely be doing it. But he can't. So it is like tripping and falling on your face then saying, "I meant to do that."

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to haroldo

I'm not sure.

iOS is very elegant however not so much in 6. It's a bit clunky.

The hardware is not very standoutish anymore. Something new and unique has to happen.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Meanwhile iPhone sales appear to be doing just fine and despite all the whining had yet another record quarter, despite it being only 13 weeks instead of the usual 14.

That misses the bigger picture. It's not about a great quarter, it's about how well they will do in the coming quarters... aka growth. Their prospects for growth are dimming as their product line stagnates and others innovate. I read somewhere that the iPhone is no longer the prized phone to own in China, which is having a profound effect on growth prospects overseas.

They're not going bankrupt, but they are not growing nearly as fast as they have over the recent past. Their product pipline (or lack thereof) will determine if they can turn that around, or if they've hit their market saturation point. Looking at market share, it's clear Android handsets are pulling away from the pack.

Apple needs to demonstrate that they still can innovate post-Jobs... and they simply have yet to do so.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I'm not sure

The hardware is not very standoutish anymore. Something new and unique has to happen.

I don't know about that. People are always commenting on how thin and nice my metal iPhone 5 looks compared to their scratched up glossy plastic Galaxy III. If fact it just happened again last night.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Jeff Bezos should be more concerned about the kind of companies that lose a crapload of money.

Profits for amazon are reinvested into the company. It's a long term strategy and it's working out nicely for amazon.
--