join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 recommendation

reply to darrylr

Re: CNOC speed matching decision due next week

said by darrylr:

Marc,

Will you still offer the unlimited Ontario cable packages once we're on aggregated POIs? If so will the price move up because of aggregated POI?

I'm currently on the 28/1 unlimited pack.

The bigger issue for pricing is the pending CRTC - Capacity Based Billing decision. That's what will determine any price changes if any.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by TSI Marc:

The bigger issue for pricing is the pending CRTC - Capacity Based Billing decision. That's what will determine any price changes if any.

My most optimistic bet is 6k$/Gbps, my pessimistic bet is 15k$.

Some of the way the fees are structured needs to be revisited: if an incumbent refuses to offer 10GbE unless there is at least a 3Gbps commit, it means the incumbent puts too much of the port fee in the per-Gbps component so some of that cost appears to be obviously misplaced - the port fee should be higher but per-Gbps fees revised downward by an equivalent amount so incumbents have no reason to object to ports with 0Gbps on them.

The way peak traffic gets calculated should be based on aggregate rather than individual links. The rigid per-link commitment puts crippling arbitrary limits on service - the incumbent is already aggregating your 70+Gbps of traffic to your aggregated-POI, it makes no difference (risk-wise and cost-wise) whether you receive it over 7x10G or 10x10G... other than the incumbent receiving extra rent for the extra 10G ports.

Those issues did not get as much attention as they deserved in 703/704.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

That's what will determine any price changes if any.

We have had a lot of price increases lately. Would rather keep my 28 speed with no price increase thanks.