vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to loosedobbs

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

I hate to hear about people losing their jobs.... I guess folks prefer to shop online at Newegg, NCIX, TigerDirect, etc....

loosedobbs

join:2006-06-13
Toronto

said by vue666:

I hate to hear about people losing their jobs...

It is never good to hear people losing jobs.

But people also dont like higher prices or poor sales job (lies?) from FS/BB stores. Mots of the stuff like electronics is mainly for men who dont go for that touch and feel type shopping. Buying online is getting big every year.

I am all for online shopping and small stores like NCIX.
I am wondering why did it take so long.

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Wightman Telecom
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

I hate to hear about people losing their jobs.... I guess folks prefer to shop online at Newegg, NCIX, TigerDirect, etc....

When a video card of the same make and model is $75 at newegg and $275 at Future Shop, where would you buy it?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada

said by cpsycho:

When a video card of the same make and model is $75 at newegg and $275 at Future Shop, where would you buy it?

Future Shop, after price matching.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by bt:

said by cpsycho:

Future Shop, after price matching.

Nope. That's where they pull the BS about the competitor not being an "authorized" competitor. They misinterpret their own fine print in order to screw you. They did that to me. I tried to get them to price match Visions but they claimed that since Visions is out of province, they won't match it. Their policy says NOTHING about that. It cost them a $600 sale. That was FS.

BB did the same thing when I tried to buy a Wacom tablet. They said that they didn't authorize Canada Computers as a competitor of them so they wouldn't price match. Their actual policy says that the competitor has to be authorized to sell the product by the manufacturer of the product, not by FS/BB.
--
Tom

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

said by TLS2000:

They said that they didn't authorize Canada Computers as a competitor of them so they wouldn't price match.

Translation: "we're not going to price match because we don't want to." Brilliant strategy!

They did price match things for me on occasion, even though the only reason I was shopping there was that the competitor with the lower price was out of stock! But I wasn't asking for outrageous discounts.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

Exactly! They have a posted policy, but they only follow it if they feel like it.

What I see happening is that one chain is going to disappear. They'll rebrand it all to either Best Buy or Future Shop.
--
Tom

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TLS2000

agree I wanted to PM a BR at future shop after 20 forking mins of waiting around no go. They make up some many BS reasons not to PM it's nuts. I also seem to recall they just started to match online pricing not to long ago but that is a new thing so yeah I'll get the graphics card online as far as I know they just started to match online pricing.

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Now zellers how they stayed open so many years is is beyond me as their prices are god awful. Hell even the stores closing have prices where I can get the stuff other places for cheaper.

Oh man barrie south end is gone my buddy worked there.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by TOPDAWG:

I do know to just close up shop without warning the workers is just outright BS and should be illegal.

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

said by peterboro:

said by TOPDAWG:

Obviously a decision made at a corporate level where all the real douche bags in society congregate at the water cooler when not on the golf course.

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

said by donoreo:

You would probably be surprised. Back when I worked for a mall based electronics retailer that has a different name now, people higher up were some of the hardest working people I have ever seen. I worked directly with district managers and a regional manager (at the time he reported to the President and CEO). If they worked less than 45 hours it was odd. The regional manager, later made VP of sales, he was in early by 8 and never left before 7, often later. I also had a lot of exposure to those higher at head office and it was much the same, a lot of people working hard long hours. This was not universal, there were those that did not. Most of the people in the sales and merchandising side of things worked a lot.

Lots of people at the top of the food chain who work hard are douche bags. It just allows them to do more damage to the fabric of society if they put more hours in that's all.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

I think the undoing of these two Stores have been returns and most/if not all people misusing that privilege. I see people here purchasing portable air conditioners in July and returning them after a month. The same happens during SB. 55-60 inch Plasma TVs and then returning after the Game. At least NCIX keeps people honest. No returns, if opened, after 2 weeks and then after a 15% restocking fee, at the discretion of the Store. No refunds, if opened, for Refurbished items.
Its no wonder they (FS & BB) went out of business.
--
Indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

they haven't gone out of business...and i'm not sure of what FS/BB's return policy is on big screens, but when i worked in the business in the 90s, those things were final sale...it didn't take a genius to figure out a patter of 200 big screen sales on Friday and 199 returned on Monday...making them final sale saved the company a fortune.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

said by dirtyjeffer:

they haven't gone out of business...

...Yet.

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS

I remember Multi-Tech Warehouse.... LOL

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON

I remember Majestic Electronics with their idiotic "If you find a lower price ANYWHERE, it's FREE!" policy. That didn't work out well for them.
--
Tom

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to cpsycho

said by cpsycho:

said by vue666:

+1

They are playing in a market which they have become to irrelevant and are just getting by through a process of ripping people off on year's old hardware at current day prices. That model was bound to fail sooner or later.

I regularly use NewEgg and NCIX. Just recently I stepped into a BB for the first time in years and didn't actually buy anything as the item I wanted wasn't in stock even though their website claimed it was...

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

That's always been the case though, Future Shop hardware was always 200% more than the PC shops and from the looks of it, it rarely went off the shelves... and that goes back to the 90's.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to creed3020

Not to defend them, but it's not as easy as an NCIX or Newegg.
Those two sell "parts" , that you put together yourself, so it's not difficult to get bleeding edge equipment.

FS and BB are Box pushers, they buy up truckloads of PC's that are outdated 5 minutes after they hit the store shelves.

Same thing happened during my Shack Days. Lead time on new computers (and the industry didn't move anywhere as fast back then) was 6 months, so deciding to buy(have Tandy Build?)a computer 6 months in advance at a current price point doesn't work and it outdated and overpriced by the time it hits the stores.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

Since you mentioned the Shack :

»www.thestar.com/business/2013/02···ada.html

The Source is opening 20 new stores and renovate 50. They have more than 700 locations. The renovation number is nothing, they used to do one or two per year per district anyway.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

said by donoreo:

The Source is opening 20 new stores and renovate 50.

As discussed in the Kindle thread, my attempt to buy a Kindle there was typical of the kind of place they are and have always been: behind the times, uncompetitive, and sometimes downright shady. So Bell thinks this is a promising business model worth investing in? Why am I not surprised? No worries, though, whatever they lose on that venture will be more than compensated by the Toronto Maple Leafs gold mine!
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by milnoc:

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.

Aventure was also opening big box style stores at the same time as "boutique" stores. I remember they had multiple "boutiques" in some malls!