uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

iPod extension cable source

Does anyone know of a good source for an iPod extension cable (old-style, i.e. 4th generation) ? It doesn't appear that Apple offers one nor officially licenses one based on none being available here, »store.apple.com/us/browse/home/s···es_docks

Monoprice doesn't carry them nor does Newegg. Quite a few options on Amazon or eBay, but they're all unknowns (could be perfectly okay though).

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

A standard USB extension cable will do.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Won't work at all

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Well thats news to me. I've used many over the years.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Won't work at all

Why not? I use one every night for my 4S. It's a generic, monoprice 6-foot A-male to A-female cable.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Hall

If you've ever purchased an Apple wired keyboard it comes with a white USB extension cable.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to Hall

None of these work? The have 3', 6' and 10' cables for USB to 30-pin dock connector.
»www.monoprice.com/products/subde···=1083101

If not, what exactly are you looking for? What ends, color, and length?

If you're looking for 30-pin female to 30-pin male, I've never seen or heard of one and would wonder about it's use...

[edit] Nevermind they're called "dock extension cables":
»www.amazon.com/30-pin-Male-Femal···04BAC2B0
»encrypted.google.com/search?q=%2···%20cable

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

If you've ever purchased an Apple wired keyboard it comes with a white USB extension cable.

Does the extension cable still have the 'notch' so it only fits with the keyboard and not a 'normal' USB connector?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Thinkdiff

said by Thinkdiff:

said by Hall:

Won't work at all

Why not? I use one every night for my 4S. It's a generic, monoprice 6-foot A-male to A-female cable.

Re: this thread

»Connector strengthening

said by Hall:

He proposed a great idea though....

-- Buy an iPod extension cable

This way, the expensive ($30), proprietary cable remains tucked away under the dashboard and if the connector on the extension breaks, it's a $7 part to replace.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
reply to dennismurphy

Elbow grease my friend.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Hall

The few I have here I got from Fry's Electronics:
»www.frys.com/product/7133702?sit···_RSLT_PG
»www.frys.com/product/6748085?sit···_RSLT_PG

Really handy when you need to extend that 30 pin dock connector for certain accessories that use more than just the USB connections.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to dennismurphy

said by Stacy:

said by dennismurphy:

Does the extension cable still have the 'notch' so it only fits with the keyboard and not a 'normal' USB connector?

Yeah, I guess so. Never noticed that.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit

Click for full size
said by Stacy:

said by Stacy:

said by dennismurphy:

Yeah, and you can easily squish it flat with pliers, so you can use it as a regular extension. I've done it tons of times over the years here at work.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to DrDrew

said by DrDrew:

If you're looking for 30-pin female to 30-pin male, I've never seen or heard of one and would wonder about it's use...

[edit] Nevermind they're called "dock extension cables":
»www.amazon.com/30-pin-Male-Femal···04BAC2B0

That would be a good option as I see it's "fulfilled" by Amazon but it's 2x the price that I've seen elsewhere :-(

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

1 edit
reply to ArthurS

Fry's is definitely a name I've heard of (there are no B&M stores of theirs anywhere nearby though). Thanks !

You do own one or both of these cables yourself ? What I'm seeing with many cables like this are they only charge. I need one that charges and passes data (audio).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

said by Stacy:

said by dennismurphy:

I bought a Apple branded 1 meter USB extension from OWC »eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/5910240C/ to hook up my external Super Drive, and it didn't have that notch (even though if you look at the picture it shows the notch). I had always assumed that it was that cable from the keyboards ... apparently not.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Fry's is definitely a name I've heard of (there are no B&M stores of theirs anywhere nearby though). Thanks !

You do own one or both of these cables yourself ? What I'm seeing with many cables like this are they only charge. I need one that charges and passes data (audio).

Yep, passes all 30 pins straight through.
I'm sure you can order it online, however there's a Fry's in Indianapolis. I'd find yourself a good excuse for an afternoon excursion. Uber geek store that you can spend hours in and lighten your wallet pretty fast! DAMHIKT!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by ArthurS:

I'm sure you can order it online...

Just ordered... Thanks !

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to ArthurS

said by ArthurS:

Yep, passes all 30 pins straight through.

Just rec'd the cable and I hope you're right.... On the back of the package, it says in tiny print

"* Not compatible with iPhone's audio - Only Charging and Data transfers"

It does say "Synchronize and transfer" on the front though.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to Hall

It should, all the new devices do audio over the USB port in the dock connector, and no longer use the analog audio pins.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Don't they use additional wires though. I believe the devices with the 30 pin connector passed analog audio over a couple pair of pins. The new connector on the new products eliminated this. That is why the lightning connector to 30 pin adapter is so expensive -- it has to have a DAC built-in. I thought the 30 pin devices had the ability to pass audio either as analog or digital whereas the new lightning only passes digital.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

It's all very confusing!
»www.tuaw.com/2012/09/13/lightnin···out-doe/
»reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57···he-dust/

I had a professional audio interface that used analog audio pins to get audio in/out of an iPhone 3G. When I upgraded to 4S, it was rendered obsolete because the new phones only supported USB audio. What a mess!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to ArthurS

All I can do is try it

Will update later

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH