flyerdx

join:2001-12-03
e1b 1s6

[Internet] Fiber-op very slow on wireless Windows 7

I have Bell fiber-op 50\30
here is what I get
Wired Desktop 50/32 windows Vista
Wireless Desktop 20/13 windows xp Trendnet 150 wireless n adapter
Wireless Laptop 4/3 windows 7 rtl8187B wireless g and even slower with trendnet 150 wireless n adapter
I have rebooted everything with no luck
tried changing a few settings from stuff I have read. it is only connecting at 18.0 mbs and not the 54 it should be.
Any ideas what to try. I think it the laptop for sure cause everything else seems to work fine. Most of the time I'm only getting speed lower than 1mb. Can't stream nothing. But yet Netflix works flawless through my Wii

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

said by flyerdx:

I have Bell fiber-op 50\30
here is what I get
Wired Desktop 50/32 windows Vista
Wireless Desktop 20/13 windows xp Trendnet 150 wireless n adapter
Wireless Laptop 4/3 windows 7 rtl8187B wireless g and even slower with trendnet 150 wireless n adapter
I have rebooted everything with no luck
tried changing a few settings from stuff I have read. it is only connecting at 18.0 mbs and not the 54 it should be.
Any ideas what to try. I think it the laptop for sure cause everything else seems to work fine. Most of the time I'm only getting speed lower than 1mb. Can't stream nothing. But yet Netflix works flawless through my Wii

Have to ensured that the drivers for your wireless devices are up to date?

Also, are you testing to the slowest machines with no other machines running at the same time?

NefCanuck

gnumantsc

join:2003-07-23

USB adapters don't fair very well when it comes to speed vs having an addon card with antenna.

Walls and stuff will deteriorate your signal so because it says it's 54g doesn't mean it will connect at that
--
Teksolution - The solution for all your computer problems!

flyerdx

e1b 1s6

1 edit
reply to flyerdx

I have been around computers for awhile and I know a setting is wrong somewhere. the other wireless is getting download speed of 20mb
and another laptop in the same room and with windows 7 was also very close to 20mb. No downloads viruses or spyware. This is a browsing computer only so no junk on it. but yet this one on average is between 1mb and 4mb

And I have newest drivers.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to flyerdx

Check the "G" channel...odds are there's some interference if you're only connecting at 18mbit/s (negotiated speed)...

That would be your culprit...Why the desktop doesn't have an issue is beyond me....but if you're not connecting at full speed you're definitely not even going to come close to pulling down what your internet connection may be...

HTH.

flyerdx

e1b 1s6

what do you mean check the g channel?

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by flyerdx:

what do you mean check the g channel?

There's a setting in your router for the G channel...if multiple APs are on the same channel, it'll cause throughput issues as each AP fights for space on that channel, if your router is on say 6, try 1, or 11...