spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xtine

@rr.com

[TWC] TWC turned off DHCP and blocked WAN - for no reason!!!

All of a sudden, couldn't get any Internet service. Blamed it on all kinds of issues. Called TWC, got through to Tier 3 and the guy told me we needed to "blow out" the NIC. That, after I told him I have a Mac. Sigh. Second try to Tier 3 - the guy told me, "don't know, maybe it's going to adjust itself in the morning (by now it was 3am). Also, made appt for a tech to come out - TWC later canceled the appt on their own - claimed that I had called back and canceled. Completely irrational. Rescheduled the tech visit with yet another cust svce rep. Woke up next day and of course Internet was dead as a doornail. Called Tier 3 again - 3rd time around. Got a really nice guy - Mike - who actually had a brain and began to do some real research. For some odd reason, someone at TWC had turned my DHCP off and blocked my WAN - for no reason! And of course given me grief for almost 48 hours! Meanwhile, the other 2 guys at Tier 3 were clueless. It took about 30 seconds and I had service again. I canceled the upcoming appointment and saved TWC a bundle, just by being tenacious and bugging Tier 3 over and over. And of course, before the last try, the lady in customer service told me, "I'm not supposed to connect you to Tier 3 if you already have an appointment, and also because the Tier 3 notes say "we don't have an answer, get a tech to go out." I harped and she connected me. What is the deal with Tier 3 people? Clearly, some of them are asleep at the wheel!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

Turned off DHCP? Where? On your Mac? On your router?

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Xtine

Sounds like a wideband/d3 modem.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to Xtine

Sounds like someone tried to bridge it and failed pretty badly.

Xtine

@rr.com
reply to DrDrew

TWC turned off my Motorola cable modem remotely (on their end). My Mac was performing flawlessly.

Xtine

@rr.com
reply to Fleeced

I have no idea what they were trying to do over there, but the thought of someone blocking the WAN connection from my cable modem to their server - weird. Why, is the question...

G0d

join:2012-11-29
reply to Xtine

How secure is your modem? I doubt twc is just randomly picking modems and disabling your dhcp pool. Seems more of like a prank attack.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to Xtine

Yeah, if you didn't call in, it was probably someone who got access and changed settings. TWC has no reason to randomly choose people's gateways to mess with.

Xtine

@rr.com
reply to G0d

Yes, G0d,

It's secure alright. When I asked "Mike," i.e. person #3 at Tier3, he told me that the first customer service rep in Tier 1 probably turned things off by mistake when I called in to report the problem (she did say to me "do your DHCP lease over again"), and that guy #1 and guy #2 in Tier 3 subsequently were too lazy or incompetent to look for the problem. Makes a lot of sense, but still scary....