Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to patcat88

Re: Can't locate main water shut-off valve

said by patcat88:

said by cdru:

Every water meter I've ever seen in my area is indoors. It's never been outdoors. Then again, we have a 36" frost line so it would make things a little hard to look at on a monthly basis in the pre-RF days.

There is one sidewalk meter on my block in NYC, but overall its very rare. In the pre-RF days, the meters had a cable going to an electrical connector on the outside of the building. For the sidewalk meters there was a plastic black contactless knob on the manhole cover. I assume the meter reader put a gadget over it to read it.

Here they put it above the basement door, but I see where the meter is in the basement, in the south in NC I think they just lift the cover as I've never seen any non-contact reader on the box and it's in front of the house on the other side of the driveway.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Bubba

said by Bubba:

I digress then.... many areas south of mason dixon is out by street

Nope - in the ground in Ohio... There are some pretty old houses in Dayton that have meters in the basement but in many areas it is in eeh ground.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Western_WA

@frontiernet.net
reply to chamberc

all outside up here too. we do also have main shutoffs in the crawlspace though (at least all the houses i have been in that are 50yrs or younger)

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by Bubba:

In our area and presume most areas of US, we can turn our incoming water off at the water meter. All the homes I've owned in TN, ARK and MS, the water meter is/was located at the street in front of our homes.

Every water meter I've ever seen in my area is indoors. It's never been outdoors. Then again, we have a 36" frost line so it would make things a little hard to look at on a monthly basis in the pre-RF days.

Very different in the south... I've never even heard of a water meter being indoors. They're always by the street in the front yard.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

I have an indoor meter, at it has a ball valve on each side.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

There is one sidewalk meter on my block in NYC, but overall its very rare. In the pre-RF days, the meters had a cable going to an electrical connector on the outside of the building. For the sidewalk meters there was a plastic black contactless knob on the manhole cover. I assume the meter reader put a gadget over it to read it.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
reply to cdru

I digress then.... many areas south of mason dixon is out by street

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Bubba

said by Bubba:

In our area and presume most areas of US, we can turn our incoming water off at the water meter. All the homes I've owned in TN, ARK and MS, the water meter is/was located at the street in front of our homes.