how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xakequri

join:2012-12-30
Midlothian, VA

[Signals] 13dB Jump in Upstream Power Levels after Service Resto

I just got service restored after a total outage (TV & HSI). We had high winds last night so it probably is related. What worries me is that I noticed my average upstream power levels jumped, on average, around 13dB from 37 to 50.

I just recently had a 3 week hair pulling session with Comcast about my service. I had 3 service calls with no luck. Every time I called they tried to get me to disconnect my router, connect the modem directly to my PC, reboot everything, etc. Finally, a kind Comcast person on this forum checked and found noise on the line. He changed the frequency on one of the upstream channels and my problem was solved.

When I had noise on the line my upstream power levels ranged from 47 to 50 dB. After the channel frequency was changed, they dropped to 36-37. I also stopped getting all the T3 timeouts I had been getting before.

Should I be worried that after this latest outage the increased upstream power levels are some indication that there is noise again on the line and my packet loss/slow throughput conditions will come back? I believe that the changed channel frequency is still at the frequency the Comcast person set to fix my problem.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

Re: [Signals] 13dB Jump in Upstream Power Levels after Service R

They may still be working on the issue. Give it a day or two and see what happens. It's still windy today.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Xakequri

I think you should be worried. A visit from a tech can get accurate numbers and may be able to diagnose the problem. Upstream of 50 dBmV, which may go >50 dBmV depending on temperature and other factors, may cause lost internet service. My experience is just that, but modems vary in sensitivity to upstream power levels, so your mileage may vary.

To get your upstream signal to noise level you need to call Comcast. That number may be important.

What's your downstream numbers - signal strength, signal to noise ratio? You can have great numbers for these and if upstream numbers are like yours, you may have problems with internet.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

Xakequri

join:2012-12-30
Midlothian, VA
reply to Xakequri

My downstream levels are 37.64 to 37.94 dB. I also noticed that my event log is now showing a lot of errors just in the last hour. I am getting lost SYNC errors, Lost MMD Timeout errors, and No Ranging Response Received T3 timeout errors. I will wait and see what happens over the weekend and give it some time to settle down.

I am dreading the prospect of having to get service techs out to my house again. The last time they were totally unable to do anything and I had to battle with Comcast on the phone to no avail. Twice when I asked to be escalated to a manager, the overseas call rep. hung up on me. Another time my request for escalation got me transferred to the group that sells $30 per month premium support for my equipment. I just have had the absolute worst experience with Comcast telephone support. They have no clue about how to properly escalate a problem and keep track of its current status until resolved. I would say that for other than very simple problems, the telephone call reps. are useless. My only question is if this is the way Comcast designed it and wants it to be. As a customer it really pi$$es me off, and as a stockholder it doesn't make me very happy either.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

If your upstream signal remains at 50 in the next couple days and you continue to see errors and have service trouble post in the Comcast Direct forum.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com
»www.BronzedBod.com