spc
uniqs
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Changes in Bell AGAS network

said by HiVolt:

I wasn't talking about that... I was talking more about congestion on the links since there is no load balancing between them, resulting in some being overused, and others under-used. This has always been an issue, and the more 1gig links TSI offers and the faster speeds that are offered, the bigger this problem becomes.

If capacity billing was on the aggregated peak rather than individual links, getting enough links to reduce the likelihood of maxing any of them out would be much more affordable.

What I was saying is that the way the tariffs and CBB work make a bad situation worse than it should be.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by InvalidError:

If capacity billing was on the aggregated peak rather than individual links, getting enough links to reduce the likelihood of maxing any of them out would be much more affordable.

What I was saying is that the way the tariffs and CBB work make a bad situation worse than it should be.

10G AGAS and/or LAG would help significantly.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by HeadSpinning:

LAGs would indeed help, as long as multiple links are connected to the same chassis at both ends. If links are spread across 3+ routers at either end, it becomes that much less effective since many may end up being orphans.

Makes you wish Nortel's SMLT became standard. It would make this sort of situation so much simpler.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by InvalidError:

said by HeadSpinning:

LAGs would indeed help, as long as multiple links are connected to the same chassis at both ends. If links are spread across 3+ routers at either end, it becomes that much less effective since many may end up being orphans.

Makes you wish Nortel's SMLT became standard. It would make this sort of situation so much simpler.

We use MC-LAG between Extreme and Foundry gear, and it works just fine.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC-LAG
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by HeadSpinning:

We use MC-LAG between Extreme and Foundry gear, and it works just fine.

I had no doubt companies had their own proprietary implementations of SMLT-like features. I was just saying it was a shame that there still isn't a standard for SMLT/MC-LAG more than a decade after the first proprietary implementations on Ethernet gear.

Then again, I suppose a standard is not absolutely required since router/switch manufacturers can achieve almost the same result by bending the LACP/LAG rules a little to allow proxying.