spc
Search similar:

uniqs

nyanya
@cox.net

nyanya

Anon

[NV] Constant outages in NV while downloading at highspeed

I used to be able to download at a max of around 3.5mBps, but now whenever I'm downloading at that speed (even when I throttle down to 1.5mBps) I'll occasionally have my modem reset. What should I troubleshoot first? I tried getting a new router, no help there. My cable modem is really old, but has no issues at all unless downloading fast.
callanish9
join:2006-07-01
Las Vegas, NV

callanish9

My experience was similar to yours and all signs pointed to the cable modem. I had an all in one Motorola SBG900 which is an all in one router / cable modem. The stand alone version of this cable modem is the Motorola 5101 modem. I went through that exact situation as you're going through. It was fine if all I was doing was web surfing, but the minute I did anything demanding, the cable modem would go offline and rebooted on its own. Had a backup of the SBG900 as well and it also eventually did the same thing. If you're running one of the older Motorola 5100 line of cable modems, I'd point the finger at that as the possible problem. If you aren't, I'd still be weary of the old cable modem as the cause.
Lerxst2112
join:2006-05-11
Cedar Park, TX

Lerxst2112 to nyanya

to nyanya
I also had a similar issue where my old DOCSIS 2.0 modem would reboot if I did anything demanding. The test modem the tech brought out did the same thing, so I upgraded to a 3.0 modem and the problem went away.

nyanya
@cox.net

nyanya to nyanya

Anon

to nyanya
Thanks, I'll try a new modem. Does Cox have to come install one or can I just simply buy a supported modem and hook it up myself?

Anonguy
@cox.net

Anonguy

Anon

said by nyanya :

Thanks, I'll try a new modem. Does Cox have to come install one or can I just simply buy a supported modem and hook it up myself?

Buy any supported Docsis3 modem and you can hook it up yourself.
You will just need to call Cox with the Serial# and Mac address.

The Cox store sells them for $80.00. It is usually cheaper than the stores.