uniqs
share rss forum feed

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1
reply to tee el cee

Re: cheap provider for low usage & land line port

First of all, my condolences on your loss.

That said, the least expensive way to do this would be to do the trick of porting your landline number to a "throwaway" no-contract cell phone (such as you can get at Wally World) and then, once that port is completed, port the number from there to Google Voice. I know there are other threads in this forum that explain that process, though I don't have a link offhand. The upside is that if it works you will only have to pay about $40 to $50 for phone and the GV port (Google charges $20 IIRC) and then you can log into the account to listen to voicemail OR have it e-mailed to you, and in addition you can get a SMS notification when a call comes in, and after the initial setup costs it's all free, so you don't have to shut it off after a year if you don't want to.

The only downside is that there are some exchanges (usually ones that are in rural areas served by small phone companies) that Google can't port a number from, so you run the risk of not being able to go the Google Voice port. In that case you can either continue to use the throwaway phone's voicemail, or you can port the number to some other provider, and you are only out the cost of the throwaway phone.

But also, if the number to be ported were in certain areas there might be other, even less expensive options available. So you may want to post the area code and first three digits of the phone number.

(Before anyone pipes up about Google Voice, remember he said "no outgoing calls" so it is pretty obvious he does NOT need 911 service in this application, which is something many providers would charge him for even if he has no need of it).

tee el cee

join:2010-01-30
Colts Neck, NJ

said by WhyADuck:

That said, the least expensive way to do this would be to do the trick of porting your landline number to a "throwaway" no-contract cell phone (such as you can get at Wally World) and then, once that port is completed, port the number from there to Google Voice.

Cute. I knew GV didn't port landlines (from landline providers?). I hadn't thought of this.

said by WhyADuck:

The only downside is that there are some exchanges (usually ones that are in rural areas served by small phone companies) that Google can't port a number from, so you run the risk of not being able to go the Google Voice port.

That's even after the port to a cell-phone? I guess it's all about the original exchange. But GV can port some original-land-lines from mobile providers? And I can't find out in advance, I have to try it?

Thank you