spc
Search similar:

uniqs
san123
join:2007-11-22
Sanford, NC

san123

charter secutity update

Is this an update or a downgrade? Internet security or antivirus only?

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958

Premium Member

Oops!

Wait a minute. I better check it out first!

It's a whole suite. Firewall, AV, malware protection and although it has gotten better, I wouldn't put that crap on anyone's computer. It's made by F-Secure and it is the WHOLE suite and a real hog!!

norton
join:2005-08-03
Howard City, MI

norton

++
emak0
join:2009-08-28

emak0 to san123

to san123
Just use avast and comodo

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

cork1958

Premium Member

Better yet, just use Avast and a good host file!!

Comodo is about as crappy/bloated as Charter's suite!!
bshelly
Premium Member
join:2002-02-17
Conover, NC

bshelly to san123

Premium Member

to san123
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebytes Pro with excellent results and much lower overhead than McAfee (what a POS that is) and Symantec Endpoint Protection. The best part is MSE is free and Malwarebytes Pro is often as low as $12 at Newegg.com.
emak0
join:2009-08-28

emak0 to cork1958

to cork1958
Comodo free firewall is actually a great piece of software. Just don't install the extra crap like geekbuddy.

The mainstream paid anti virus programs are absolutely worthless.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

said by emak0:

Comodo free firewall is actually a great piece of software. Just don't install the extra crap like geekbuddy.

I use the same free programs you do Avast and Comodo, and I haven't found any problems with Comodo slowing down my system or anything. It just isn't as descriptive as my great old Sygate firewall. I could trace source IP traffic in my old firewall, but haven't found a way to do that with free Comodo. I'm just too cheap to pay for more.

If I was going to use a suite though, I'd use Charter's before I'd ever use Norton or McAfee.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

4 edits

cork1958 to san123

Premium Member

to san123
If you're behind a router, just use Avast and Windows firewall. No need for a third party firewall.

If you need a "firewall" to monitor outgoing stuff, just use Windows free Firewall Control by Sphinx, »sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html

It can even be ran with the windows firewall disabled, which is how I use it! I know I just said no need for a third party firewall. I am currently testing this firewall and have been for a while, but it's about time to uninstall it. I'm mostly using it just to monitor outgoing traffic, although it does control traffic both ways.

@msmisfit
The good ol' days of Sygate and Kerio!!

"If I was going to use a suite though, I'd use Charter's before I'd ever use Norton or McAfee."

No doubt about that!!