join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by dirtyjeffer0:

they haven't gone out of business...

...Yet.

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

FS/BB's days may be numbered.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

I remember Multi-Tech Warehouse.... LOL

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

I remember Majestic Electronics with their idiotic "If you find a lower price ANYWHERE, it's FREE!" policy. That didn't work out well for them.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

Remember Adventure Electronics? Atlantic Electronics? Both big box consumer electronics stores that went bust, one replacing the other.

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by milnoc:

yes, i do remember Adventure Electronics...i worked for Majestic Electronics, who were then purchased by Adventure Electronics (and later worked for 2001 Audio/Video)...their problem (Adventure) was they grew too quickly and bit off WAY more than they could financially handle...senior/executive management at Adventure was a mess (not sure if it was a Quebec mentality)...they had 5 stores here in London...one downtown (which was a money pit, and eventually closed), 4 in the main malls here (which had ridiculous rents, and Masonville had 2 stores, because of the lease requirements from the "Majestic" days)...and a large superstore...realistically, they should have only had the one large store...none of the mall stores made any money.

they spent a FORTUNE on expanding and expanding, thinking that the more presence they had, the better they would do...that house of cards collapsed within a few years.

Aventure was also opening big box style stores at the same time as "boutique" stores. I remember they had multiple "boutiques" in some malls!