Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4

Re: Megaupload is back

Pirates beware: Kim Dotcom's Mega isn't the safe haven he says it is
quote:
Immediately after it launched, there was speculation that the new Mega was a front, a way for Dotcom to ignore US authorities and slip right back into the piracy game. Mega's lowest paid tier is a whopping 500 GB a month — far beyond the needs of any ordinary user, but appropriate if you’re trafficking in bootlegged blockbusters. Even the site’s description, "Mega is a so-called cloud storage provider," (emphasis ours) suggests that Dotcom has his fingers crossed behind his back.

The US Attorney’s office, which is prosecuting the case against Megaupload and attempting to extradite Dotcom from his home in New Zealand, declined to comment on the new Mega. They didn’t seem exactly pleased, however, pointing us to an affidavit in which Dotcom said under oath that, "I have no intention and there is no risk of my reactivating the Megaupload.com website or establishing a similar internet-based business during the period until the resolution of the extradition proceedings."

When asked about this sworn statement, Dotcom’s California-based attorney, Ira Rothken, defended his client: "Kim Dotcom is innocent, is presumed innocent, and is entitled to innovate and work in technology like any other innocent New Zealander."

But many, especially anti-piracy advocates, are skeptical when Mega claims to be a competitor to services like Dropbox and Google Drive in the completely legal business of personal cloud storage.
Article

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

quote:
Immediately after it launched, there was speculation that the new Mega was a front, a way for Dotcom to ignore US authorities and slip right back into the piracy game. Mega's lowest paid tier is a whopping 500 GB a month — far beyond the needs of any ordinary user, but appropriate if you’re trafficking in bootlegged blockbusters.

Of course it will be used in that manner.
But then is there any service like it that the same does not happen with?
We all know the names & what will be found where.

So theverge (or any other mag) can take the same article & change the name from mega to rapidshare or to whoever. It still all applies.

And of course there are "legitimate" hosters or are users who do want to use a particular host for legitimate purposes, but the majority want it for other reasons.

I would love to have a huge block of space in lala land to store, backup my stuff. And if it were on mega.co.nz or google or amazon or wherever makes no difference to me, so long as I'm able to access & use the service efficiently. (So far I haven't found that place.)

As far as the 500 GB, that is more marketing then anything else. 99% of users would never using anything near that. So if they "offer" that, it sounds great but for most its immaterial. May some use it, sure.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by therube:

So theverge (or any other mag) can take the same article & change the name from mega to rapidshare or to whoever. It still all applies.

or DropBox or Google Drive,

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to therube

Premium Member

to therube
said by therube:

As far as the 500 GB, that is more marketing then anything else. 99% of users would never using anything near that. So if they "offer" that, it sounds great but for most its immaterial. May some use it, sure.

As an extension of the local drive 500GB in the cloud is about foreseeing capacity by looking at recent history.

"The capacity of hard drives has grown exponentially over time. When hard drives became available for personal computers, they offered 5-megabyte capacity. During the mid-1990s the typical hard disk drive for a PC had a capacity of about 1 gigabyte.[6] As of January 2012, desktop hard disk drives typically had a capacity of 500 to 2000 gigabytes, while the largest-capacity drives were 4 terabytes"
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi ··· k_drives

Data will expand to fill it's allotted space.