share rss forum feed

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to haroldo

Re: [iPhone] Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"

Do you think the iPhone is a good "value"?

Answer: YES, absolutely.

The only reason I got an iPhone is because I had a rather dissatisfying experience with Samsung's Galaxy S Android phone. Never again will I get a Samsung phone. This isn't due to any loyalty, as I always look for the best bang for buck. I'm not an Apple, Microsoft, or an Android fanboy in any regards. I'm a ""bargain shopper"' who looks for quality, longevity and resale. I don't care what OS, or ecosystem I use. I simply look at what is the best for me. There are some problems with Android phones as well as Apple phones. One has to due with functionality and the other is reliability. I would rather take a device that is lacking in OS design, rather than use a device that is cheaply made and unreliable. The boring is much more desirable than dealing with faulty hardware and cheap construction. If you want a smartphone that will last you a looooong time, with decent resale then the iPhone is good for you. It's worthy to note that the subsidized price is the same for the top of the line Android and iPhones, yet the iPhones retain their value better than the Android devices, otherwise I would not pay the premium for the iPhone...

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

I had a rough time with the Galaxy S, myself. Had a Captivate and it was a PoS. Seeing afterwards the issues my friends had with other Samsung Androids and even hearing it from some more honest stores, never again will I own a Samsung. Have a Pantech Burst atm as my main. Other than a buggy updater that botches the ICS update(been fine since I worked around it and fixed it), it has been a great phone with great specs that didn't break the bank. Got my eyes on the LG Optimus G as possibly my next upgrade. Maybe an HTC One X as a backup option. Both brands have a much better track record in smartphones than Samsung. Too bad Samsung is the best known and most purchased name. They make Android look bad. As I have said before, popular does not mean good.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

said by Selenia:

I had a rough time with the Galaxy S, myself. Had a Captivate and it was a PoS. Seeing afterwards the issues my friends had with other Samsung Androids and even hearing it from some more honest stores, never again will I own a Samsung. Have a Pantech Burst atm as my main. Other than a buggy updater that botches the ICS update(been fine since I worked around it and fixed it), it has been a great phone with great specs that didn't break the bank. Got my eyes on the LG Optimus G as possibly my next upgrade. Maybe an HTC One X as a backup option. Both brands have a much better track record in smartphones than Samsung. Too bad Samsung is the best known and most purchased name. They make Android look bad. As I have said before, popular does not mean good.

Yep, the ATT Captivate is what I had as well. I gotta hand it to Apple for their impressive contemporary designs, using high quality parts and construction. Like Jobs said, they "don't put junk" in their products. You'd be surprised at the poor quality these new Gimmicky Android phones have. One thing you have to admire about Apple is how well their OS is optimized to reduce lag when navigating inside the OS, using less hardware. They use 512Mb of ram and it's super buttery smooth, vs an Android device that is quad core and has 1/2gb of ram and still has minor stuttering issues. Very impressive on Apples part.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

Junk is relative. Sure, Apple's build quality is above average these days. However, what they put out now is junk back in the days where we were mostly buying Japanese engineered and manufactured products. Hell, I miss those days! They put Chinese/Korean junk in their products, it's just above average Chinese/Korean junk. Remember the old Macs(still have a few I dust off once in awhile for kicks)? Now that was quality. That is why I used to love Apple. Great build quality, innovative designs, and great software. They didn't have to go crazy suing everyone to solidify their position as the quality builder and innovator in the market. If Apple can go back to that, I would be a loyal fan once again.

That being said, there are quality Android builds. Most of Samsung's crap just doesn't qualify. You buy cheap, you can only expect cheap. What do you get when you buy the cheapest dumbphone on the market? A dirt cheap build quality that looks like a slab of vulnerable plastic, if you're lucky. Same applies to Android. Buy a phone from a quality manufacturer at the iphone's price and get a quality Android build. Buy that free with contract or sub-$100 prepaid Android PoS and you will get-you guessed it! A PoS. Maybe not in all cases. I took a risk on the Pantech Burst due to price vs specs(plus the fact Pantech feature phones had been very good to me) and say I came out ahead. Had some nasty drops and owned it over a year-still runs like a top.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.