Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to CoxVegas

Premium Member

to CoxVegas

Re: [NV] Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands' Birthday Present

::Insert Eating popcorn GIF here::

Yea, I saw this coming. As soon as anyone mentions Caps...

Im still just curios what kind of coaxial compressors he used. Guess Im just a nerd. XD

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

said by Optimus2357:

Im still just curios what kind of coaxial compressors he used. Guess Im just a nerd. XD

Heh. The cable is mini RG59 - you can find it pre-assembled with the ends in a number of places. We, being a cable company, make our own, of course.

It isn't supposed to be used for high bandwidth, high frequency digital signals as it is not well shielded (only single - RG6 comes in double or quad shield), but that particular cable is 10 feet or so to our in-lab tap, so it works well enough. Plus, as you noticed, it's a lot more flexible and easier to run where we need it in a cramped lab.

Official line: Use RG6. Everywhere.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh

said by CoxVegas:

said by Optimus2357:

Heh. The cable is mini RG59 - you can find it pre-assembled with the ends in a number of places. We, being a cable company, make our own, of course.

It isn't supposed to be used for high bandwidth, high frequency digital signals as it is not well shielded (only single - RG6 comes in double or quad shield), but that particular cable is 10 feet or so to our in-lab tap, so it works well enough. Plus, as you noticed, it's a lot more flexible and easier to run where we need it in a cramped lab.

Official line: Use RG6. Everywhere.

Who still uses RG59 and for what purpose?

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas

said by Rakeesh:

Who still uses RG59 and for what purpose?

Optimus2357 was asking what that thin coax cable in the picture at the start of this thread was.

We still have some in our lab for the short connections from the tap into some of the test cable modems.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Oh thanks for the answer. I was hoping maybe it was something new. I have always wondered why the basic design (with improvements) have stayed the same so long. Imagine coaxial with ThermaVolt dielectric insulation, graphite nano-wrap shielding and a ICP core. Were talking cable so thin you could lay it on the wall and paint over it and not even notice. Ahh yes, but it all boils down to cost and compatibility. That's why RJ11 hasn't changed in what..60 years?