danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Thinking of adding a 3DS to my collection also

said by C0deZer0:

3DS is compatible with DS games. It just doesn't have the GBA slot that the DS lite did.

DS games will still require WEP for the most part. Only DSi-mode and 3DS games will be able to support stronger WiFi security.

Of the two, the 3DS XL has a longer battery life stock vs. stock. But if you can get one of the Nyko extended batteries for it, the 3DS can last a pretty good while off a single charge.

Regarding the WiFi security - it's game-dependent? All I did was apply settings in the main options. I never have had to do anything in individual games for anything, but I was thinking mainly about just getting the 3DS online and downloading system updates more than anything when responding.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
Only if you play original ds games multiplayer. Original ds games could only use WEP for some dumb reason...

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to danawhitaker
said by danawhitaker:

Regarding the WiFi security - it's game-dependent? All I did was apply settings in the main options. I never have had to do anything in individual games for anything, but I was thinking mainly about just getting the 3DS online and downloading system updates more than anything when responding.

The original DS couldn't support anything more than WEP for WiFi security.

The DSi was the first to finally update the WiFi hardware to support newer protocols, but if the games weren't compiled to be 'aware' of the added hardware that a DSi would have, it wouldn't be allowed to use it.

Of course the trick is then keeping aware of which such games are "aware" and able to use newer security, if you're playing those original DS titles. This obviously isn't a problem if you're playing 3DS games.
--
Because, f*ck Sony