RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

Re: Car Insurance Question

Thanks guys.

I will be getting a new vehicle soon (debating on whether finance or lease) will suit me better. I will be registering the new vehicle in my current (NJ) address, since thats where I been living for the past year and where I will be getting new insurance with. But I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to change all my personal info to my new address rather than my safe old parent address.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I suggest you check-out the largest auto insurer in NJ - »www.njm.com
They're #1 for a reason (actually a bunch of good reasons).

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

CGMason14 to RobNyc

to RobNyc
Register the car in NJ. Insurance is likely cheaper then anywhere in NYC. Now a story. A friend of mine had a car registered in NJ, but for some strange reason, the insurance company issued him a NY policy despite him telling them that he moved to NJ and switched all his paperwork (license, car registration). The insurance card even listed his NJ address.

Long story short, he got into an accident and the car was totaled with injury. The insurance company tried to weasel out of paying due to the policy being in the wrong state. The court said otherwise and made them pay up because he notified them of the policy change and they screwed up issuing the policy. Its not a hassle you want to deal with.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Looks like for 2012 - cheaper in NY than NJ:
»www.insure.com/car-insur ··· tes.html

15th for NJ and NY is 23rd - at least on average
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

You need to compare northern NJ with NYC, not all of NJ with all of NY.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

That is why it is 'on average'.
"We then averaged rates for all vehicles in each state to create the rankings of affordable car insurance."
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Which is why it's useless.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Averages does not make it useless imho
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

It's useless as to whether the OP's car insurance will go up or down when he tells his insurance company the truth.