Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to bcade

Premium Member

to bcade

Re: How to manage two WAN and two ROUTER connections

Dont quite understand what your looking for but here is a post that describes the two isp two router scenario for optimal results...
»2 Gateways 2 ISPs 2 Routers 1 Network
bcade
join:2003-01-31
Washington, DC

bcade

Thanks. I'm reading now. This maybe what I'm looking for. Was the port forwarding issue with 2 routers ever resolved?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by bcade:

Thanks. I'm reading now. This maybe what I'm looking for. Was the port forwarding issue with 2 routers ever resolved?

Well its been awhile, but port forwarding capability was as you may have noted, was clarified near the end of the thread (what is possible).
By the way the ASUS N56U is a powerhouse consumer router. They put the switch architecture and nat architecture in hardware units separate from the CPU so its fast and can handle a gazillion connections.
ClearToLand
join:2002-12-20
South Plainfield, NJ

ClearToLand to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

Dont quite understand what your looking for but here is a post that describes the two isp two router scenario for optimal results...
»2 Gateways 2 ISPs 2 Routers 1 Network

Good memory Anav!

Although bcade's Managed Switch and Patch Panel are above my skill level, compared to BR1GAND's 2008 diagram, I do recommend connecting ONE LAN Port of each Router to a Switch and leaving the rest unused. My logic is that since I've upgraded my LAN 'backbone' to Gigabit, I want to keep all 'Internal' LAN traffic away from my older 10/100Mbps Router (gave up the DSL) such that only 'External / Internet-Bound' traffic reaches it.

With several legacy 100Mbps devices still in service in 4 rooms (Media Streamers, ReplayTVs, Print Servers), I also run separate 10/100Mbps switches off 1 port of the Gigabit switches so that they can communicate with each other without 'wasting' multiple Gigabit ports.

When both tuners in 2 SiliconDust HDHR3-US units are feeding 4 channels to my Vista HTPC using WMC, ~60Mbps is only consuming ~6% of the available 1Gbps bandwidth according to Task Manager.
ClearToLand

ClearToLand to bcade

to bcade
said by bcade:

...Was the port forwarding issue with 2 routers ever resolved?

Both Routers were actually running DD-WRT and had identical Port Forwarding set up for my ReplayTVs. But, only ONE was enabled at a time. And, the Gateways on the ReplayTVs had to changed manually.

If you view your WAN IP as your Street Name, your Port becomes your House Number which cannot be duplicated. With both Routers on one subnet, the Street Name is the same.

IME, the best way to learn how these things work is to start out small, get that working, then gradually add devices.