Click for full size
Base Section
Click for full size
Base looking up
Click for full size
Section connection point
Click for full size
Upper 3 sections
I am a firefighter with limited knowledge of towers and brands, however I need a structure similar to conduct some tower rescue type of training. We have done this before with similar products but they were all existing structures. This one I need to install indoors, probably using under 40' of the overall structure, however I can not find any plates or inscriptions on the tower to indicate the manufacturer brand or model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The base of the tower measures 24 1/2" from center of tubes, about 26" overall width in 8' sections. The tubes appear to be 1.25" - 1.5" in diameter (tapered)

The upper section of the tower which is on the ground right now measures 16 1/2" on center and 18" overall, again in 8' sections with 1" - 1.25" diameter tubes.

voxframe

join:2010-08-02

1 recommendation

I wouldn't touch that thing. Regardless of how little of it you want to use, unless it was for scrap metal.

It's kind of the same concept as a helmet, harness, extinguisher (Non rechargeable ones)... Once it's been hit/used/accidented, it's garbage.

That thing has been banged around obviously, bent bars on the bottom.

I would not trust it, certainly not enough to climb it.

EDIT - The upper sections are a dead no-go in my mind, the bottom section I personally wouldn't touch, but I couldn't tell you how it would stack up. Even though it's still standing, it probably has been structurally stressed due to the top section being (What visibly looks like) torn off.

Bad vibe on the entire thing.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to afd696
Voxframe is correct...crashed towers are NFG, for anything.

I'd suggest some new Rohn 45 or 55 for your training tower.

Representative pricing:

»www.texastowers.com/towers/guyed/rohn45g.htm

»www.texastowers.com/towers/guyed/rohn55g.htm

Insofar as this sounds like an atypical installation, I'd suggest some engineering consultation to make sure there isn't an 'accident'.

--
Nothing makes an American want to do something more than telling them they can't.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to afd696
Whatever you decide to use, strongly consider a separate line for fall arrest.

»www.3starinc.com/rohn_tuf_tug_ha···500.html
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

GTOV8

join:2006-02-04
reply to afd696
Looks like a Universal Towers self-supporting aluminum tower. We use them all the time. www.universaltowers.com. The owner is very nice to work with. I suggest NOT using any sections that show the SLIGHTEST hit of damage. As a firefighter you know safety comes first. I trained hundreds of fire fighters for the Michigan Fire Marshals office back in my good days. We did some pretty wild training exercises, but we never took any chances at all. Be safe.

afd696

@rr.com
Thanks to all - looks like I will avoid utilizing this tower. It was not going to be self supported, the plan was to bolt it to a concrete floor, brace to a wall at a mid point and attach it to a very substantial metal roof truss system. There was going to be a static line for fall arrest capabilities that would have come off of the truss and be independent of the tower.

afd696

@rr.com
reply to GTOV8
Thanks to all - looks like I will avoid utilizing this tower. It was not going to be self supported, the plan was to bolt it to a concrete floor, brace to a wall at a mid point and attach it to a very substantial metal roof truss system. There was going to be a static line for fall arrest capabilities that would have come off of the truss and be independent of the tower.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to GTOV8
said by GTOV8:

self-supporting aluminum tower.

Lot of rust for an aluminum tower.

GTOV8

join:2006-02-04
reply to afd696
The bottom collars that attach to the base and all the hardware on the Universal Towers is galvanized. All the rust will be at the joints.

ehenry

join:2007-11-07
Gilson, IL
reply to LLigetfa
said by LLigetfa:

Whatever you decide to use, strongly consider a separate line for fall arrest.

I completely agree this. Although for training instances I would use an alternative fall protection for your guys. This tower isnt suited to take a strong arresting force especially after being crashed. I secondary structure such as a bucket or lift to run a belay line off of would be ideal. A ladder climbing system is good but only if what it attached to is structurally sound. And for the sake of your men and the training please use shock absorbers. Ive been training for a long time and you would be suprised how little people know about their equipment. *Work safe....come home safe.*