Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Infected Salmon Fit to eat

CFIA has declared that some 250,000 salmon (farmed no doubt) , infected with a flu like virus, are fit to be eaten by humans.

The Americans won't allow this fish to be imported, which to me speaks volumes.. first XL foods, now this.

For the first time, Canada’s food safety regulator is allowing Nova Scotia salmon infected with a flu-like virus to be processed for supermarkets and restaurants.
Last week the Canadian Food Inspection Agency declared fit for human consumption 240,000 Atlantic salmon with infectious salmon anemia — a disease it says poses no risk to human heath. The ruling is the first time the CFIA has opted not to destroy fish carrying the virus since it started regulating the fish farming industry in 2005.

While CFIA says it's all OK, scientists say otherwise.

Alexandra Morton, a marine biologist, says infectious salmon anemia is an influenza-type virus and can mutate in unpredictable ways, especially if it comes into contact with another flu virus in a human being.
“I don’t think it’s a good idea for people to be eating it,” said Morton, who has worked as a government fisheries scientist and was a visiting lecturer at Dalhousie University last year. “We know that pathogens are becoming more virulent all the time and it’s events like this that I believe really risk human health safety.”

Sobey's says it won't stock the fish, I figure it's just a matter of time before the other chains follow them.

So I wonder if this is the reason behind allowing the fish to enter the market?

Fish culls are costly. When fish farmers are ordered to cull infected salmon, they are eligible for government compensation.
The government has paid out an estimated $100 million in compensation since the virus first surfaced in the Maritimes in 1996, according to a tally of government documents done by the Atlantic Salmon Federation.

Hmmmmmmm
So I wonder if the lack of revenue and the one track mind in eliminating the deficit would be the reason behind this. After all if one gets sick , it becomes a provincial health care problem, not a federal one.

LINK
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Sorry Atlantic Canada.....I'm only going to consume wild BC/Alasakan salmon for the same reasons I don't buy Chinese-grown produce - I don't trust it.

hm

@videotron.ca
said by MaynardKrebs:

I'm only going to consume wild BC/Alasakan salmon for the same reasons I don't buy Chinese-grown produce - I don't trust it.

Um... the virus was first detected in BC. So it's no different.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

one track mind

Concerning your one track mind:

1. In the past two years there have been multiple culls of over 1.5 million fish for this outbreak.

2. In the past two years, there's been $10+ millions of compensation provided to fish farmers for this outbreak.

3. Last year, there was already an allowance for this fish to reach the consumer market.

4. "The CFIA said people dont need to worry about an effect on human health or food safety." I don't know if I believe the marine biologist who says "I don't think it's a good idea" or the Canadian Food Inspection Agency who says, "Salmon with the virus are safe to consume and the virus and its mutated cousin pose no risk to human health."

Or Dr. Roland Cusack, Nova Scotia's fish veterinarian, said the effects of mutated virus are the same as other viruses in fish consumed by humans, "There is no human risk associated with this product."

Here's the official federal food inspection agency fact sheet:
»www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aqu···99219511

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Looks like its a method of farming that doesn't work very well, why pour money into a system which makes an inferior product?

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to MaynardKrebs
Infectious salmon anemia has been present in wild salmon populations for some 25 years....
»theglobeandmail.com/news/british···2272915/

Not disagreeing with anyone about the potential risks of ISA, or about Chinese produce. Just saying.
--
"The promoters of the global economy see nothing odd or difficult about unlimited economic growth or unlimited consumption in a limited world."
-- Wendell Berry

booj

join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON
said by Wolfie00:

Infectious salmon anemia has been present in wild salmon populations for some 25 years....
»theglobeandmail.com/news/british···2272915/

Of course this virus obviously originated in the wild, but it has found an incubator in farmed fish.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues
Why won't the Americans allow the salmon to be imported? What evidence does Morton have to back up her opinion?

You should have had answers to these 2 key questions before posting a conspiracy theory.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to booj
said by booj:

Of course this virus obviously originated in the wild, but it has found an incubator in farmed fish.

Well, I assume it's something like putting a healthy person in a room full of people with the flu, eventually that healthy person is going to get it too. Farmed fish are 'stuck in a room'.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
reply to elwoodblues
I volunteer Donoreo to test some, apparently he's available this weekend