Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to aaronwt

Re: Fios TV Xbox 360 - Demonstration

I have turned in all my FIOS boxes and turned all of my Xboxes (5 of them) into full media extenders. I use W7MC for DVR (it actually runs in a VM), and through gold I get Amazon, Youtube, Vevo, Netflix, etc. I use Family pack (4 simultaneous) and paid $65 for it last year which works out to a little more than $1 per month per box. I couldn't find any deal that even approaches that low cost.

On top of that, the kids can play games on them and IF I happen to rent a movie from Redbox, I throw the DVD in there.

Also, mediabrowser ties in all my media so I can watch all my ripped movies, pics, and music anywhere.

I found that wireless just doesn't work for hi-def streams, so I'm fully wired 4 ethernet, 2 coax/Moca and this works 100%.

The only thing missing is Pandora for me, but last.fm is decent. If I really need pandora, I simply plug any of my phones/pads into the stereo aux and away we go.

All in all my bill for ultimate/50/25 is $102 which is competitive. TW is the alternative, however they force ugly SDV in my area and the knowledge on that box and support is non-existent. Pricing there is competitive.

BTW - I bought all of my xbox 360s refurbished and didn't pay above $120 for one, so you do have to factor in cost of those devices, BUT unlike STB rental these actually have resell value. I can easily get over $100 for an xbox, so at this point (some are two years old) my cash loss is approaching $1 a month.

BTW - I have the FIOS app on there for grins. It works pretty well, however since I hate commercials and W7MC is superior I don't really use it. Also, if I have W7MC running, why take up IP channel bandwidth when I can use the broadcast feed.

HTH.

OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

Do you use Silicon Dust, Ceton or something else to decode the Verizon Video stream? That is also part of the cost.

I have a Silicon Dust 6CC and think it is great. Once the new facility works with DLNA, it will really expand my TV watching possibilities. Actually, I am not sure that is a good thing .

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to elefante72

Elefante72 what exactly is W7MC? explain more?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

W7MC = Windows 7 Media Center
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···a-center
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY
reply to elefante72

I just wish that Fios would allow this on the Apple tv. I would save me space on my media shelve. Yes I do have and Xbox and a WiiU but no Fios on my street yet but that sounds like a deal .

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to OwlSaver

I use a Silicondust 3CC--3 tuner. I paid $200 but they really havent lost much value. I still use my HDHR for broadcast channels. The solution has been working for over 2 years so the money I put in has more than paid off for leasing and avoiding roku.

I'm interested to see how te dlna comes about and maybe we start seeing some interesting ip boxes. I won't hold my breath tho drm is going to be a biatch..

Setting up w7mc and the funky rdp that msft uses is no easy task.

The only thing tat I see out there that can compete for the plug and play crowd is TiVo. They will be coming out with ip boxes in a few months. The bad is they will charge monthly service fee. If its more than 4 dollars its a rip. TiVo also has work to do because they lock tuners so I heard to do replay. I did love my directtivos tho...