share rss forum feed

rawgerz
The hell was that?
Premium
join:2004-10-03
Grove City, PA
reply to jrs8084

Re: Oil furnace ?

Nothing is free, you pay 10K upfront to reclaim a well. This is a dead relative's property, and I'm not thrilled with the $1200 oil bill every month when the heat is at 50f.
I don't care what happens to the furnace, this **** is too expensive

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

$1200 a month? Dang - that is like 300 gallons a month at today's prices! Must be a really huge place to use that much oil in a month.

I'm down here in Butler, PA, and heating a 4500 sq. ft. house with the thermostats set between 65 and 70 (three zones), I use at best 150 gallons in the coldest of months.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to rawgerz

said by rawgerz:

Nothing is free, you pay 10K upfront to reclaim a well. This is a dead relative's property, and I'm not thrilled with the $1200 oil bill every month when the heat is at 50f.

Get a new oil company. The cheapest road diesel is $4.15, my oil company of many years in the last year, the price sky rocketted. They had the balls to sell at $4.15 a gal last delivery. Manager said thats just how it is and he cant do anything, ULSD heating oil yada yada he said. Switched, new delivery was $3.69 a gal. Huge difference. Shop around. Some companies have a business model of subsidizing service contracts with sky high oil prices. Best choice is have 1 company for maintenance, and a 2nd, preferably delivery-only, for oil. Plus there is no conflict of interest for rich burn settings

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM

said by patcat88:

Best choice is have 1 company for maintenance, and a 2nd, preferably delivery-only, for oil. Plus there is no conflict of interest for rich burn settings

This is what I do. I use a local heating/cooling outfit for the yearly boiler service, and I have three different local oil distributors that I call for price before ordering fuel oil.

I just had oil delivered today, and I ended up paying $3.87 a gallon; a few weeks ago, gasoline was cheaper, so the fuel oil would have been as well. Prices tend to bounce wildly this time of year. With the recent trend upwards, I figured I better order now rather than wait another week.
--

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Same here. Was getting gouged with contract auto delivery, so now I shop around. $3.66/gal for last week's fill, the first of the winter.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to rawgerz

said by rawgerz:

Whoa, whoa. $1,200 a month at 50 degrees? I'm locked at $3.89/g and I use about 500 gallons from Sept-April under normal circumstances.

Are you paying $1,200/yr for 50F? That's at least reasonable.
--
He used to say that soul shine, is better than sunshine, better than moonshine, damn sure better than rain.

Debunking the 2012 hysteria. | Always looking for a new job | Begging the Wilpons to sell the Mets.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to rawgerz

said by rawgerz:

No way it is $1200/month. If it was $1200/month then in about a year you should have saved the $10K to reclaim the well - well worth the effort - no brainer in fact.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM

I think he is referring to two different properties; his own with the well, and a deceased relative's with the oil heat.

Plus during the warmer months of spring, summer, and fall, heating oil usage drops to almost nothing.
--

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to rawgerz

said by rawgerz:

Costs me 200$ for a month when the temperature is below 20F.
Yet my house is 1500 sqft living space.