spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Needleinthha

join:2009-11-30

Google fiber the reason?

Huge speed upgrades, 3X downstream, 10X upstream for ultimate...in phoenix the only competition is Qwest which is crappy DSL and nowhere near these speeds. I think it really shows the influence of google fiber. Just like when email accounts has 10 megs of storage then gmail came along with 1 gig of storage everyone else had to match. Even though google fiber isn't a direct competitor most markets, I think it has somehow made other providers 15mb (or whatever) download speeds some puny compared with 1gbps google offers and feel they have to catch up, at least a little. I don't see why else this could be. It's not like QWEST is providing any incentive

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

I thought Qwest went and now operated by CenturyLink. CenturyLink will eventually sell out or close due to massive Plain Ol Telephone service losses.

ezuniga

join:2013-01-30
reply to Needleinthha

Cable companies have had the capability for a while to give much higher speeds with Docsis 3.0. Whatever motivates them to raise speeds is ok with me.

Eek2121

join:2002-10-12
Newton, NJ
Reviews:
·FreedomPop
reply to RWSI

Actually, CenturyLink is upgrading. At least here in NJ. They are rolling out Bonded DSL. 25 megs down, 2 megs up. While that's not 150/20, it's certainly much faster than 3-10 megs down, less than a meg up.
--
My beta Ruby on Rails tutorial site!