Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JonyBelGeul
Premium
join:2008-07-31
reply to AudiS4

Re: lawsuit update?

Smart judge. "What is the link between IP and the person? It is direct, indirect, to a device, to a person?" This implies that motion could be refused simply based on lack of evidence of a direct link between IP and person. In other words, why would judge grant disclosure of information on persons who have not been seen committing the allegations?

More specifically:

IP-person exists in Teksavvy's records
IP-device exists in physical form
person-device is anybody's guess

A parallel is phone-person, where a phone number is assigned to a person, but the phone itself could be used by anybody.
--
My blog. Wanna Git My Ball on Blogspot.

Dr Facts

@gc.ca
said by JonyBelGeul:

I would also want to know how these numbers are generated, what the false-positive likelihood is and how that information goes from Point A to Point Court. Seems to me that the people providing Voltage with the IPs have a monetary reason to provide as many as they can and Voltage can always plead "Well they said they were the right guys! Whatcouldwedo?!?!" when called on it.

It really is a neat little racket.

And kudos as well to all those throwing spanners in the trollworks.

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada
reply to JonyBelGeul
said by JonyBelGeul:

Smart judge. "What is the link between IP and the person? It is direct, indirect, to a device, to a person?" This implies that motion could be refused simply based on lack of evidence of a direct link between IP and person. In other words, why would judge grant disclosure of information on persons who have not been seen committing the allegations?

More specifically:

A parallel is phone-person, where a phone number is assigned to a person, but the phone itself could be used by anybody.

Good point. Is there any jurisprudence to this effect that you know of?
--
Cheers!