share rss forum feed

Davy49

join:2007-04-10
Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

Administrative Menu of Wireless Gateway

Hi,

Recently I was having some issue's with both my wireless gateway (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···gateway/) and also @ my local comcast facility. On the morning of the day my issue's occurred..first I lost my broadband internet service, and then I lost my digital voice phone service. Thank goodness for cell phones..ever since that day, now when I enter the following address into my web browser ( »10.0.0.1.) , so I can access the Admin. Tool's of the wireless gateway, I can't access that area anymore. It's like comcast purposely took it offline for some reason, has anyone else who uses the xfinity gateway ran into that also ?

Thanks,
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Your topic from the official Comcast Forum.

For help Ref: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Netwo···/1569221

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Dear Johkal,
You must be like me..in that you participate in several different message board's. I surely wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feather's so to speak, just trying to find out why I can't access the administrative menu of the xfinity gateway that I'm using, previously I could in fact get into that area, something has changed.
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

No problem at all bud. I was just pointing to your other thread because that one was populated with posts that could help your topic here. It just gives anyone helping here variables to eliminate.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Dear Johkal,
Thanks for understanding..this morning I performed a 'soft' reset on the gateway, everything seemed to perform properly. All of the indicator light's on the gateway 'blinked'..then one by one came back on. Then I tried once again to access the admin. page for the gateway..I received the following:

The connection has timed out
The server at 10.0.0.1 is taking too long to respond.
I'm kind of concerned now, I don't want to perform a 'hard/factory' reset..but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything.
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Reset is your best bet.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
reply to Davy49

Johkal,
A hard/full factory reset..what does that mean for my owned router that's plugged into the xfinity gateway ?
David

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by Davy49:

Johkal,
A hard/full factory reset..what does that mean for my owned router that's plugged into the xfinity gateway ?
David

It should mean nothing, unless you accidentally do the reset on the wrong box. The only remotely possible problem might be (since I think you mentioned not using the WiFi radio on the gateway in your other thread) that the gateway's WiFi radio would use the same channel(s) as your external router after the reset.

And speaking of disabling the WiFi radio in the gateway, when you did that (or had Comcast do it for you), did you just simply disable the radio, or did you put the gateway into bridge mode (or have Comcast do it for you)? If the gateway is in bridge mode, that is possibly the reason that you can't access it by its router LAN IP address anymore. When I had my SMCD3G gateway put into bridge mode, it still functioned normally as a cable modem, but it was otherwise totally invisible (I could no longer ping it or get to its admin web server).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Paraniod

@comcast.net

Davy,

Yeah, I was thinking since you didn't mention the gateway being bridged, that might be best route to go....

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Hello All,
When comcast installed the gateway originally, the tech. asked me if I wanted it bridged, I said no...not @ that time. My reasoning was that I 'might' possibly want to try out the wireless part of it sometime, he said ok..and that I could always call in and have it 'bridged' later.
David

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

said by Davy49:

Hello All,
When comcast installed the gateway originally, the tech. asked me if I wanted it bridged, I said no...not @ that time. My reasoning was that I 'might' possibly want to try out the wireless part of it sometime, he said ok..and that I could always call in and have it 'bridged' later.
David

If you want to find out if perhaps a Comcast CSR remotely bridged your gateway and forgot to tell you, just look at the IP address and gateway IP address in your external router's WAN setup/status page. If its IP address is 10.0.0.x and its gateway IP address is 10.0.0.1, then your gateway is not bridged; if those two IP addresses are anything else (unless you or Comcast modified the gateway's LAN IP address), then the gateway is in bridge mode.

If you aren't sure of the diagnosis after looking at your external router's WAN interface, just post its WAN IP address and gateway IP address, and someone can explain it to you. If you wish, you can mask the router's WAN IP address by substituting xxx.yyy for the last two octets in the IP address. For example if the router's WAN information looks like:

IP address: 24.34.44.54
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 24.34.0.1

Just post it as:

IP address: 24.34.xx.yy
Netmask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 24.34.0.1

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Davy49

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm SO glad to be part of yet another day..also I'm SO glad to be a member of this wonderful site ! There's such a wealth of information contained here, and caring member's who take the time and make an effort to help other's.
Now back to my issue..here's the info. 'NetFixer' requested:
IP address: 71.199.xy.zzz
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 71.199.xy.z
While in my router info./setup page, on the page labeled Network/WAN, I saw a 'button' labeled 'RELEASE'..when reading the definition about it, it said: " Click the Release button to release the IP parameters from your ISP. " Would this option help me @ all ?
So unless I'm reading this data wrong my gateway is in the 'bridged' mode. That means if I perform a hard/factory reset, I can take it back out of the bridge mode..correct ? Then possibly I'd be able to login to the xfinity gateway admin. page (10.0.0.1) again.
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

By default your Gateway is not in bridged mode, so resetting to defaults should take it out of bridged.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
reply to Davy49

WOW,
You are quick..
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

If you give it a reset, let us know how it ends up. You'll be the 1st person I've dealt with trying to get it out of bridged mode.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
reply to Davy49

Johkal,
If that's what I 'have/need' to do to be able to get back into the gateway admin. page..I'll do it.
David

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Just to let everyone know, I did perform a hard/factory reset..upon glancing @ my latest info. on my own router info. page:
WAN
IP address: 71.199.9w.xyz
Subnet Mask: 255.255.wxy.z
Default Gateway: 71.199.94.1

So far..I still can't access the xfinity gateway admin. page @ 10.0.0.1
I'm really perplexed now.
David

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

At this point if you feel inclined, you could call Comcast & ask them to take it out of Bridged mode. Other than that, I have no idea to solve this.

*For the record I hate Gateways!

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Johkal,
Could it be something with my windows 8 pro laptop..I haven't tried to access the admin. page on my windows 7 pro laptop today. Well, in a few short minute's I'm off to work again..have a GREAT day !!
David

Paraniod

@comcast.net
reply to Johkal

FWIW I'm not sure it is bridged, seems strange they would do that without telling the user. I have seen others, not being able to get to the login page (without being bridged), one user reported clearing the browser cache did the trick, but who knows...?

Like Johkal says gateways 'aint good, get them to swap it for an Arris 722G/822G. It will make you happier!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

I agree that Comcast wouldn't normally put it in Bridged mode unless the customer requested it. What ever is going on with this modem is beyond me.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Paraniod

said by Paraniod :

FWIW I'm not sure it is bridged, seems strange they would do that without telling the user...

I will agree that Comcast should not have put the OP's gateway into bridge mode without notification, but since the OP's external router has a WAN IP address of 71.199.xx.yy, there is no doubt that the router is connected to a bridge, not a gateway.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Davy49

said by Davy49:

Just to let everyone know, I did perform a hard/factory reset..upon glancing @ my latest info. on my own router info. page:
WAN
IP address: 71.199.9w.xyz
Subnet Mask: 255.255.wxy.z
Default Gateway: 71.199.94.1

So far..I still can't access the xfinity gateway admin. page @ 10.0.0.1
I'm really perplexed now. :huh:
David

I think that you mentioned in your other thread that you were able to access your cable modem by using the IP address http://192.168.100.1. If that is/was so, could you post a screen shot of the initial admin page at that IP address? If you can ping 192.168.100.1 but can't get a web browser to connect, could you do a tracert to 192.168.100.1 to verify if you are reaching the device at that IP address through your external router (as opposed to it being directly connected to your LAN)?

Here is my tracert to 192.168.100.1, and it clearly shows that it goes through my router (192.168.9.254):
C:\>tracert 192.168.100.1

Tracing route to 192.168.100.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  gw1.dcs-net [192.168.9.254]
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.100.1

Trace complete.

That would tell us if you really were able to access your gateway using 192.168.100.1, or if there were perhaps some mystery device on your network that you are not aware of.

--

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
Reviews:
·Comcast
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
reply to Davy49

If it is in bridge mode type »192.168.100.1:8080/ and you will get to the admin screen. Default admin is :
Admin password.
If the device is an Arris the same address applies or you can just type in »192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi
You see you are bypassing the router portion and going straight to the cable modem portion which is like a stardard cable modem. If you have a third party router it should route to the addreeses correctly anyway. Just a thought
Oh on a sidenote I was informed that they have turned up the wireless power on this gateway recently, so I tried it and yes the signal is much stronger than it used to be.

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Davy49

Good Morning All,
I just typed this into my address bar:192.168.100.1
and received this: Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.100.1 ,now I will typing in 192.168.100.1:8080/ and see what happens. Well, when I typed in »192.168.100.1:8080/
I received this: Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.100.1:8080 . I think my next step will be to contact some one in the 'comcast direct' message board in here and request one of these: »stevejenkins.com/blog/2012/12/re···e-modem/ . Hopefully...my 'local' comcast service center has one available ! Thanks SO much to EVERYONE for trying to help me get this resolved.
David

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03

»192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi
try this

Davy49

Waxahachie, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Davy49

I got this: Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.100.1
I'm going to give up for tonight, thanks.

Update: Good Morning..the first thing that I did this morning was to perform another hard/factory reset. This time I did something a little different from the previous time. I un-plugged the Ethernet cable from the xfinity gateway that goes to my own router. Then I powered off the power to my router, after the gateway 'reset' itself, then I powered back on my router. Of course I have internet/phone service, but still can't access the admin. page of the gateway, or the other suggested page's. I posted a message concerning this in the Comcast direct forum, but so far...nobody from Comcast has responded.

David