Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kittyburgers

join:2012-01-31

1 edit
reply to tcauleycoge

Re: [INTERNET] Cannot update to new version of Cogeco Security S

If I were you, I'd ditch the whole F-Secure thing that Cogeco endorses. I see no reason why one should be using anything other than Microsoft Security Essentials these days. If there's anything out there or any issue (such as false positives) your gonna hear about it on the numerous forums for sure.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

said by kittyburgers:

If I were you, I'd ditch the whole F-Secure thing that Cogeco endorses. I see no reason why ones should be using anything but Microsoft Security Essentials these days. If there's anything out there or any issue (such as false positives) your gonna hear about it on the numerous forums for sure.

Microsoft Security Essentials is rock solid.

F-Secure, on the other hand, is a piece of crap.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

got_milk

join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

said by dillyhammer:

Microsoft Security Essentials is rock solid.

Thirding this. MSE is fantastic, it runs absolutely silently in the background and takes up very few resources.

Plus, if you run Windows 8, you have MSE already (it got merged into Windows Defender which is a part of the core Windows installation).

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
reply to kittyburgers

said by kittyburgers:

I see no reason why ones should be using anything but Microsoft Security Essentials these days.

Most people who have dealt with Microsoft's security systems like myself over the years have learned to not trust their Security systems due to how often they get hacked. Most Viruses and malware is designed and targeted for Windows based systems (mostly due to higher user base). This is also why i use Kaspersky anti-virus and Malware Bytes to keep my PC clean. My Kaspersky AV has kept me protected better than any other AV program I've ever used, and I've used a lot (AVG, Avast, Norton), I wouldn't trust any other company with my PC security.

M in Cobourg

@cgocable.net
reply to got_milk

When I upgraded to Windows 8, I got a message that F-Secure wasn't compatible and would be removed. I don't know if the new version is compatible, but I figured I was OK with Windows Firewall and Defender.

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON

From what I heard, the newest version of Security Services IS compatible with Windows 8, you may have had the old one still installed.

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
kudos:4
reply to M in Cobourg

said by M in Cobourg :

When I upgraded to Windows 8, I got a message that F-Secure wasn't compatible and would be removed. I don't know if the new version is compatible, but I figured I was OK with Windows Firewall and Defender.

The new version is indeed Win8 compatible

M in Cobourg

@cgocable.net

Thanks for the info. I don't have anything installed at the moment, but I'll give the new version a try.

kewl13

join:2003-06-29
Burlington, ON
reply to got_milk

I'm surprised that several people think F-Secure is bad. The only other place I have seen it was when I worked for a big multinational corporation with a fancy pants IT dept so I would think they would know what they were doing. That time it was actually called F-Prot. I don't really trust Microsoft and for me they would be the last one's I would want for security. If I remember correctly in my early days of computing and using cable I think Cogeco actually offered programs such as Norton and McAfee so I assume that they feel F-Secure is more secure.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by kewl13:

If I remember correctly in my early days of computing and using cable I think Cogeco actually offered programs such as Norton and McAfee so I assume that they feel F-Secure is more secure.

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.

noemails

@bell.ca

thats a true comment can you imagine how much money the company bell or rogers made off referring and supporting the security software they push

noemails

@bell.ca
reply to No_Strings

even microsoft teamed up with bell at one point... i still have the dirext phone number to seatle for support

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Those decisions are made based on the revenue sharing. Nice euphemism for kick backs. Whichever AV company is willing to give the best deal to the ISP, typically from up-sells from free "light" version, gets distributed.

I've done these deals. Trust me, it's not about security.

Just wanted to clarify that Cogeco Security Services is not a "free light version" but rather a custom version of their Retail Security Suite. We have the software modified (Cogeco branding, a few default settings tweaked, etc.) but the scanning engines, definition files, update cycle, etc. is all the same. There is no "up-sell" option, as you are already running a full suite.