tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

Re: Electronics that stop working when cold

It is probably not the gauge electronics itself or the batteries but rather the LCD display. They don't like the cold.

/tom

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by tschmidt:

It is probably not the gauge electronics itself or the batteries but rather the LCD display. They don't like the cold.

/tom

The L in LCD does stand for Liquid after all.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to tschmidt

said by tschmidt:

/tom

if my car's LCD display works in 12F then it should be no reason for this

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

I don't think that is a valid comparison.

The standards for automotive electronics are much higher than those for a throwaway tire pressure gauge.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

My car's TPMS works while I'm driving in the snow. Go figure.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

said by SparkChaser:

said by Subaru:

Likewise. Mine works at -30C.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

said by DKS:

said by SparkChaser:

Likewise. Mine works at -30C.

TPMS systems use specially designed Lithium Thionyl Cholride cells which are rated for -40C to +125C.

Nobody has managed to bring the low temp spec down to -55C (yet) so overnight in some Canadian towns, the TPMS could actually fail until tire warms up to -40C due to friction. Meanwhile in Arizona in the summer, some TPMS could fail because the air inside the tire got a bit hotter than +125C.

Now regarding the CR2032 of Subaru See Profile's tire gauge ... typical Lithium Manganese Dioxide coin cells are not meant to be used in very cold weather because internal resistance goes from already high 10 ohm at +20C to terrible 40 ohm at -10C. So the current and voltage both drops and maybe it is not enough to power the circuit.

P.S. Lithium Iron Disulphide cells also work down to -40C. These are 1.5V/cell and commonly sold as "lithium" AA replacement.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

All LCDs are not created equal. The LCDs used in your car were likely designed for improved low temperature operation.

As for the LCDs used in dirt-cheap electronic devices like electronic tire pressure gauges, they don't work so well in the cold. The tire pressure gauge I used to have (see other thread about throw-away electronics) was almost impossible to read below -10C. Calculators are just as bad, they use the same type and grade of dirt cheap LCDs.

I recently purchased a dial type tire pressure gauge for $5, and guess what it works fine in the cold.