share rss forum feed

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 Review

said by JohnInSJ:

I guess he didn't watch the video windows 8 plays you when you install it.

No, I think it's more a case of do you use your pc recreationally or to get work done.

Intro videos are nice, but some of us need to produce. That often means multitasking, for example. Anything that slows us down costs us time and money.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
So that means you never make the time to learn something new? That seems rather unproductive.

We heard tons of similar complaints when Vista, then Windows 7 came out, but people finally learned how to adjust and the world didn't explode. People make it worse on themselves by resisting and subbornly refusing to take the time to learn something new just because they "shouldn't have to". Might as well adapt, or get left behind. Eventually, people will have to do it, whether they like it or not.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
said by La Luna:

So that means you never make the time to learn something new? That seems rather unproductive.

We heard tons of similar complaints when Vista, then Windows 7 came out, but people finally learned how to adjust and the world didn't explode. People make it worse on themselves by resisting and subbornly refusing to take the time to learn something new just because they "shouldn't have to". Might as well adapt, or get left behind. Eventually, people will have to do it, whether they like it or not.

This is exactly my point. Its not just Windows that is changing with each release. Look at cell phones, or TV's, or even a car. Sure, the basic function of the device is the same, but the way you use it, or the steps needed to use it may change slightly (and that's the key word).

Example: Look at the Model T, the first automobile, which was made in September of 1908. Compare it to a Ford made in 2013. Do they look EXACTLY the same (Color, design of the car, shape of the steering wheel, location of and devices on the dashboard)? To operate it, do you perform the EXACT same set of steps? Of course not. They are different cars with different steps involved to get them started, and to operate them. While the differences between these two are very large, if you look at the changes made each year a new car came out, those changes are probably very small. The bottom line is that both cars will perform the task they were built for: To get you from Point A to Point B without having to walk.

Windows 8 does exactly the same things that Windows 7 does. You just may have to modify slightly the actual steps (mouse clicks perhaps) to get them done. In the grand scheme of things, is it really that big of a deal to have to click the mouse 3 times instead of two to open an application? I don't know of any business, industry, or job function where someone is standing next to you with a stopwatch, and will punish you if you cannot open Word in the exact same amount of time that you did in Windows 7. If you work in such a place, where people stand next to you with a stopwatch and a big hammer, and keep track of how long it takes you to go from application to application, and record all that, so when you get to Windows 8, and they see you are taking more steps and more time, they will hit you over the head with the hammer. After 5 hits, you get fired. If that is the case, you need to find a new job.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 edit
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

No, it doesn't mean that. But do you have any idea how often I mouse left to right for a reason? So I'm supposed to put up with an o/s reading it as a swipe when it's not? Why?

It's not about being stubborn, it's about knowing what I need to do on a daily basis to get work done. That's not something anyone can force on me, because there are other options for o/s. It also means if Microsoft keeps this up my software dollars and those of people like me go elsewhere. I can live with that, I've already checked into running my apps, but can they?

Bottom line for me is that a lot of the Win8 "improvements" are pretty but irrelevant and occasionally detrimental. Sometimes it's not that you're left behind because you're stubborn, it's that the ones leaving you behind forget their core mission and go off on a tangent. There's no such thing as too big to fail, even if it's Microsoft.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by JohnInSJ:

No, I think it's more a case of do you use your pc recreationally or to get work done.

Intro videos are nice, but some of us need to produce. That often means multitasking, for example. Anything that slows us down costs us time and money.

I don't get this at all. My statement was simply that he didn't bother to learn the three new gestures he needed to use Metro. Swipe down (or right click with mouse) Swipe in from right (or mouse to right corner) and Swipe in from left (or mouse to left corner)

There, you learned everything you need to know for Metro.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
You're still ignoring how the touchpad was not responding correctly, but that's besides the fact they didn't try to good ol' trusty alt+f4 to close the metro app, which I did at first in beta since there was no kind of instructional video at all.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by BlitzenZeus:

You're still ignoring how the touchpad was not responding correctly, but that's besides the fact they didn't try to good ol' trusty alt+f4 to close the metro app, which I did at first in beta since there was no kind of instructional video at all.

Yep it's still Windows.
--

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by goalieskates:

said by JohnInSJ:

I don't get this at all. My statement was simply that he didn't bother to learn the three new gestures he needed to use Metro. Swipe down (or right click with mouse) Swipe in from right (or mouse to right corner) and Swipe in from left (or mouse to left corner)

There, you learned everything you need to know for Metro.

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time? THERE IS NO SUCH THING. You just get thrown on the OS and Microsoft tries to FORCE you to create a Microsoft account to use instead of a local account so they can track you all the time. There is NO video...no orientation to the weirdness that comprises Win 8 on the Metro side and that is totally worthless if you have a desktop. All Metro does is slow you down and there is no way to completely stay off Metro. If I could stay on the Desktop ALWAYS I could be ok with Win 8 but I am forced to Metro (even with Start8) because search on desktop doesn't work for some things. You must search on Metro. That sucks badly and I still may downgrade to Win 7 because of this.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by Mele20:

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time?

We're talking about the video that plays while it is "preparing for first use" - I have done 10 installs, it's played that same video 10 times. Even on the Surface RT.
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Mele20:

What are you guys talking about an Intro video that plays when you start Win 8 the first time?

We're talking about the video that plays while it is "preparing for first use" - I have done 10 installs, it's played that same video 10 times. Even on the Surface RT.

Correct. I've also done at least 2 dozen installs of Windows 8. At some point in the install process, you get the little demo that we are talking about.

I also believe that once Windows 8 is installed and running, if you create a new user account (not sure if it has to be a local user, or it can be a Microsoft Account), it will also run that little demo too on the very first time you login to that new account.

It shows you how to "move the mouse to any corner" and the Charms bar will come up. The video shows the mouse moving to the top right corner, and then the Charms bar pops out. However, if you move the mouse to the top left corner, or the bottom left corner, you don't get the charms bar, so that is a bit mis-leading. However, if you follow what the video shows, and not what the text says, you will have no problems getting the charms bar to pop up.

Here's a video from Youtube that shows this. Start watching around the 6:30 mark to see what we are talking about. The Screen will be black, and the text "Check out the new way to use Windows" will be displayed.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpgSxulr_4

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

What is unproductive is having to learn something new. May as well just get a Mac, or Linux.

When I buy a new car, I don't have to "learn" something new. I just get in and drive - because I know how to drive.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

said by jaa:

What is unproductive is having to learn something new.

And you knew how to use an iPhone (or Android, or whatever touch phone you use...) the first time you picked it up? Pinch zoom, you always did that did you?

At some point what you know now, you didn't know, because it was new. Now it's not. In a handful of minutes you would learn the trivial new things to learn to use Win8... with a mouse or touch. Then you'd never need to relearn them.
--
Expand your moderator at work

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Windows 8 Review

said by JohnInSJ:

said by jaa:

What is unproductive is having to learn something new.

And you knew how to use an iPhone (or Android, or whatever touch phone you use...) the first time you picked it up? Pinch zoom, you always did that did you?

Yep! Never needed an instruction manual, never had to look something up - it just worked. Even something new and different like that.

No, I didn't know everything day 1. But I was able to do everything I needed to - make and receive phone calls, surf the web, setup email, use email, etc. I learned new features as needed. Sort of like I don't know every feature of Word - but I can write a letter, and when I need to do some formatting, or add footnotes - it is pretty natural to figure it out.

I don't recall forum threads about the iPhone when it was introduced saying how unusable it was.

Boyko was right on the money.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.
Expand your moderator at work