spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jpren74
@verizon.com

jpren74

Anon

travelling to Europe with vz galaxy nexus

I am going to several southern and western european countries in a few months, and i know that my phone will not work on roaming over their. What i want to know if anyone has had luck using skype over wifi or vonage on wifi. I have vonage for my home phone and they have a feature that i belive will work, but when i called verizon wireless they said these features will not work over their even on wifi only. this does not make sense to me and was wondering if anyone else had any experience with skype or vonage, thanks.

samw
Are you sure? If not check again
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23
Lakeland, FL

samw

Premium Member

Unsure why not. WiFi traffic is not sent over Vz. Internet is internet unless the wifi provider disables connectivity for Skype.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to jpren74

Premium Member

to jpren74
Sounds like the rep was confused. As stated, internet is internet.

Now if you want to be really sure it will work, sign up for Verizon's international plan. Voice will "only" be ~$2.00/min and data about $100/ Gb. ....LOL.... I may have overstated the cost, but you get the idea.

If you want to make calls, install GroveIP lit on top of your Google Voice number and make WiFi calls as you please.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to jpren74

to jpren74
I have the Sprint version of the Gnex and will be spending a month in France later this year. I see no reason Skype via WiFi would not work. pende_tim's suggestion for grooveip (in the Play Store) is also something I'm going to try out.

RenHoek
You Eeeediot
Premium Member
join:2000-10-02
Peyton, CO

RenHoek to jpren74

Premium Member

to jpren74
I took my VZ Nexus to England and Ireland last year. Turned off the data in the setting and turned on WiFi. I was able to get email, browse web, etc. without any problems. I don't use Skype or Vonage so I can't specifically say yes or no on those, but all my other data apps worked fine on European Wifi.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA
·Frontier FiberOp..
(Software) pfSense
eero Pro 6

racer9876 to jpren74

Premium Member

to jpren74
Check here for what technology a country has deployed and whether you can roam on the network or not. »businessportals.verizonw ··· dex.html