share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Octavean

Re: Haswell vs Ivy Bridge Benchmarked Compared Clock-for-Clock

We've seen changes before in the industry,....

The race to 1GHz and overall raw speed gave way to dual cores / quad cores / oct core with speed-step / turbo. Smarter processors and so on,....

Right now it looks like Intel is very concerned with competition from ARM, which, necessitates focusing on the efficiency that the industry shift towards mobile computing requires.

So performance gains look like they are being sacrificed for efficiency gains or at least that has been my prediction for a while now. With little to no competition from AMD it makes sense for Intel to go after the ARM threat. The problem with that though is that its an approach similar to Microsoft's approach with Windows 8,...that is to say going in a direction that not everyone cares to go in.

Its still a little too early to say what the performance of Haswell will be.

However, if Ivy Bridge wasn't a significant performance increase over Sandy bridge then Haswell really should be IMO.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium,VIP
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

Performance gains in CPU maybe are not as big, but performance gains in the GPU are increasing significantly. More and more die space is being used for GPU instead of CPU (percentage wise).

I wouldn't say the direction is similar to Microsoft's at all.....
--
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us.... We are far too easily pleased." C.S. Lewis

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

said by ccallana:

Performance gains in CPU maybe are not as big, but performance gains in the GPU are increasing significantly. More and more die space is being used for GPU instead of CPU (percentage wise).

I wouldn't say the direction is similar to Microsoft's at all.....

That depends on ones perspective,....

I personally don't really care much about iGPU. My main system right now is Core i7 3930K based.

The Intel iGPU does have its place (Quick Sync, mobile and so on) but not everyone is into that. Keeping CPU performance stagnant in favor of increasing iGPU performance isn't a decision that I find favorable.

Mobile computing may receive Windows 8 a little better then desktop so it might be a lot more like it IMO then one might think.

And for the record I use Windows 8 Pro (3 licenses) with the new UI / Metro and like it just fine. I'm not sour on Windows 8 I'm just using it as an example and that example is that it isn't for everyone,....