Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to MrK4

Re: How to transfer with no down time (TSI to Start)?

said by MrK4:

....Lesson: Be prepared for a few days without Internet, regardless of what you're told.

Unfortunately this may be true in more cases than we would prefer.

Therefive, regardless of the names of the 2 cable ISPs, the bottom line is :

Do NOT be too thrifty/cheap about the process, as you are likely also saving the $50 install fee.

(1) Follow advice in my earlier post.

(2) Run 2 modems, one for each provider.

(3) Overlap and pay for the 2 services, at least for a few days.

(4) Test, compare, cautiously smile, look over both shoulders and then back again, wipe brow.

(5) Continue with your life.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
I wonder if Rocca is following this thread?
If he is, then here's a question for him:

Now that my Teksavvy modem/account is no longer active, how soon can this modem be re-used for Start.ca service by another (new) customer?

If "more or less right away" is the answer, then I could offer this as a loaner to some other Teksavvy refuge who wants to overlap a transfer of service (as being discussed in this thread).

Thanks.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
somewhat disappointing that I'm still not online over a day and a half later. hoping it will come online later tonight, but calling in again and support wasn't able to get Rogers to do anything about it.

i knew there was the potential for a 1 day downtime, but it's gone beyond that now, for those doing the same going forward i'd look at getting a second modem for sure until Rogers can speed up the process.

MrK4

join:2008-08-05
I'm in the same boat. Pretty disappointing - my roommates are currently pretty unhappy with me.

Gered

join:2012-11-09
Canada
But think how happy they will be when it does come up and you all have better speeds. :P

Anyway, yeah, today was/is supposed to be my disconnection day from TSI, but it hasn't gone down yet. Modem went out a few times for about 5 minutes each time earlier today but then came back each time with the same IP. *shrug* We'll see I guess.

merc782

join:2012-11-19
reply to mlord
I bought the modem when i ordered teksavvy initially. can some one confirm whether below plan works ?

1) get cancellation date from teksavvy
2) switch to START with rental modem option on cancellation date
3) after a month, return rental modem and switch to old modem

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
That works, but even better is to have start.ca begin service the day BEFORE the teksavvy cancellation date.

And schedule it all for near the end of the calendar month -- cable is billed by calendar month, so things will be simpler and possibly cheaper that way.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
any chance you can force Rogers to activate/provsion my modem rocca?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
ok so Rogers doesn't do any 'moves' on the weekend. so don't bother doing a TPIA move on a Friday or Thursday (let alone a Saturday or Sunday). You would likely want to do it on a Monday so they can actually activate you in a decent time. Funny how Rogers was able to disconnect my other TPIA (TSI) on the weekend easily.

Start really should be warning people about this, what a waste of a weekend.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by jmck:

ok so Rogers doesn't do any 'moves' on the weekend.
Start really should be warning people about this, what a waste of a weekend.

Wow, no kidding. That's the first slip-up we've seen for Start.ca thus far.
Bummer.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
and of course after making that whiny post, i'm now getting an IP from Start. doesn't really change the fact that TPIAs aren't able to escalate anything to Rogers on the weekends tho.

Others should likely avoid a weekend/Friday activation since it can't be escalated and fixed with Rogers until Monday if you are going to use the same modem from your existing provider.

mlord

Nepean, ON

1 edit
My buddy who's switching this weekend saw his Teksavvy deactivated this morning (8-9am), and his Start.ca service only fired up a few minutes ago now (3pm).

ssherwood
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Toronto, ON
I got a call earlier this evening, and it seems that I was misinformed and that I will in fact likely have some downtime during my transfer.

I really appreciate that Start called me to let me know that I should be prepared for 24-48 hours without Internet service. My past experience with the majors would have seen my install date come and go without a word to let me know.

Of course, I'd rather avoid the downtime altogether if at all possible, but at least I know in advance and have the opportunity to make or change plans if needed.

1/2 kudo for the heads up ... I won't take any points away for the mixup... Just hope the new service is worth the hassle.

-- SS

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by ssherwood:

I got a call earlier this evening, and it seems that I was misinformed and that I will in fact likely have some downtime during my transfer.

I really appreciate that Start called me to let me know that I should be prepared for 24-48 hours without Internet service. My past experience with the majors would have seen my install date come and go without a word to let me know....

After all, they ARE called 'Start COMMUNICATIONS', eh ?!