how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Voltage - still no cease and desist letter?

I love how urgent they made it sound in court to get these titles off P2P yet they can't seem to draft a simple cease and desist for TSI to distribute.

Marc: is anything happening on this front or are they taking a flying leap like we all hope they are?

joke ah_ha

@videotron.ca

said by JMJimmy:

I love how urgent they made it sound in court to get these titles off P2P yet they can't seem to draft a simple cease and desist for TSI to distribute.

That's cuz what voltage stated is a complete joke.

When they bitched about how their IP-property was available by these few people and was continuing to create huge losses for them, it really was a joke. I laughed when they stated this.

The lousy few TSI-only people who may be continuing to upload (if they are) pale in comparison to the American's or the rest of the world for that matter.

And keep in mind, this is likely only one release. Warez, movies and so forth have diff release groups and the average indie guy on P2P with a diff version/formatting of the same thing.

So I think the voltage "lawlyer" was just looking for a chuckle. A cheap laugh. He didn't really mean it.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by joke ah_ha :

said by JMJimmy:

That's cuz what voltage stated is a complete joke.

When they bitched about how their IP-property was available by these few people and was continuing to create huge losses for them, it really was a joke. I laughed when they stated this.

The lousy few TSI-only people who may be continuing to upload (if they are) pale in comparison to the American's or the rest of the world for that matter.

And keep in mind, this is likely only one release. Warez, movies and so forth have diff release groups and the average indie guy on P2P with a diff version/formatting of the same thing.

So I think the voltage "lawlyer" was just looking for a chuckle. A cheap laugh. He didn't really mean it.

Were you in the courtroom too?
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

joke ah_ha

@videotron.ca

said by resa1983:

Were you in the courtroom too?

Are the the girl who giggled along with me?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

It clearly isn't of any importance to them to do so despite their protestations otherwise. Case dismissed.
Expand your moderator at work

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to joke ah_ha

Re: Voltage - still no cease and desist letter?

I don't know about that? I think Voltage sees just how lucrative it can be if you can obtain an ip address. We've seen the billions of dollars Direct Tv got from pirates of their signal who bought hardware to steal their signals. The ones who bought online got stung by the companies that sold them hardware and rolled over and provided all the ip addresses to obtain a lesser sentence themselves.

mmmgv321

@teksavvy.com

It wasn't IP addresses for satellites, it was credit card info which is very unlike an IP address IMO

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to JMJimmy

Why would they want people to stop? They need more people pirate their crap. This is their extortionist business model. If you cut all the pirates how are they going to make money.

Expand your moderator at work

Anyone

@teksavvy.com
reply to Riplin

Re: Voltage - still no cease and desist letter?

Unfortunately, they are trying to gain free publicity for their crappy films which no one seems to want to watch.

BTW: I made myself watch (streaming off-course) their Seal Team Six ... whatever name movie:

Horror of horrors, it is so crap that when they are supposedly depicting a scene in Peshawar (Pakistan), it is actually shot in India, because the clowns keep showing a sign on a shop repeatedly, (with the intent of trying to confuse average viewers) -> That sign is in Hindi, from India. No way would anybody be caught having a store sign in Hindi in Urdu speaking Pakistan, let alone the Pakistani wild west of Peshawar.

Besides they also did not bother to mask the vehicle number plates, which were obviously from Maharashtra (India) of which Mumbai / Bombay is the Capital city.

That was one sad pathetic excuse of a movie. No wonder they need free publicity for their crap.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

reminds me of American "made in Canada movies" ... in several scenes in the start of one movie, they removed images of the CN Tower when taken of the skyline from the Islands. Towards the end of the movie there were a couple scenes where they didn't even bother to maintain the illusion.

Then there was Short Circuit 2, where Ben got his US Citizenship (with American Flag flying proudly) on the steps of Queens Park!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

said by sbrook:

Then there was Short Circuit 2, where Ben got his US Citizenship (with American Flag flying proudly) on the steps of Queens Park!

+1 rofl

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

reminds me of American "made in Canada movies" ... in several scenes in the start of one movie, they removed images of the CN Tower when taken of the skyline from the Islands. Towards the end of the movie there were a couple scenes where they didn't even bother to maintain the illusion.

and dare i say it one of the most popular sci fi shows of the last 20 years WAS mostly made in canada
stargate sg1
as was andromeda
and you can continue looking into it. YOU will see a lot of the sci fi was and is canada. Americans can't do math so don't expect any good sci fi....

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by funny0:

said by sbrook:

and dare i say it one of the most popular sci fi shows of the last 20 years WAS mostly made in canada
stargate sg1
as was andromeda
and you can continue looking into it. YOU will see a lot of the sci fi was and is canada. Americans can't do math so don't expect any good sci fi....

Stargate SG1 was popular? God, that was a terrible series. Andromeda wasn't bad but it was worth watching.

bitchtorn

join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

SG1 was fantastic.

ontarian

@torservers.net
reply to JMJimmy

IMHO. It looks like voltage's nutz are in a Vise now cause "cease and desist letter" must tell alleged "pirates" to STOP SHARING BS "works" + REMOVE THEM FROM THE HARD DRIVE (so they are not "shared" anymore). voltage clowns do not want people to remove their BS "works" form hard drives cause NO BS "works" - no "evidence" in case they want to take some people to court to make an exemplary case with hard drive forensics etc. voltage's "lawyers" NEED THERE BS "works" on people's hard drives, otherwise their extortion scheme is not going to work. So a requirement to issue of "cease and desist letter" is a literal command to voltage to go and f..k themselves right now while they are not yet liable for more money then they owe TSI for their BS inquiry to get personal info of account holders in a first place.

IMHO

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Something happened today..

Communication to the Court from the Registry dated 04-FEB-2013 re: Motion Doc#8

Doc #8 is CIPPIC's motion to intervene, so it sounds like a decision on that may be coming soon.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

...The only movie that makes me cry....although I frequented the "FUN AND GAMES" Amusement center in the movie back in my University days! Fun times....

...The reason why it makes me cry?...I dunno, when they (spoiler alert) bash up Johnny 5 and leave him for dead...

Although sbrook, for the record, at least in 1 part of the movie, Johnny 5 does say the correct street in it being "Lakeshore" aka Lakeshore Blvd. I try and give them credit for that lol.

ahar

@teksavvy.com
reply to neuromancer1

sg1 millions a viewrs per night
upwards past 11
10 seasons of sg1
5 seasons of atlantis and the 2 seasons of sgu
plus a 2 season kids animation

then there are novels and rpg ebooks
and you ask it sucked sounds like someones taste is not with the majority

andromeda was ok and was based on roddenberries last ideas of what came after a warp drive and some scientists even postulate its pretty close...at least until the warp bubble from nasa is done.

babylon v is another good series but i dont think it was made in canada

we also have star hunter 2 seasons
tekwar only a few eps

ya a lot a sci fi from canada
now that hollywood has its copyright law its done

continuum doesnt look like it may come back

so your stuck with animated clone wars
pathetic
and people want us to pay for what
ill just make my own stuffs

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

Continuum, got ok'd for a 2nd season, last I heard. (Plus its quite popular over in UK right now)

Don't forget Sanctuary, also had a run.

ofc there are a few more shows that aren't strictly sci-fi done up here too.

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to ahar

Are we all still talking about voltage here? Or is this a TV topic?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

We're still talking about Voltage.....and they very much remind me of Dennis Moore

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkhx0eqK5w

dr_oak

@torservers.net
reply to ontarian

said by ontarian :

IMHO. It looks like voltage's nutz are in a Vise now cause "cease and desist letter" must tell alleged "pirates" to STOP SHARING BS "works" + REMOVE THEM FROM THE HARD DRIVE (so they are not "shared" anymore). voltage clowns do not want people to remove their BS "works" form hard drives cause NO BS "works" - no "evidence" in case they want to take some people to court to make an exemplary case with hard drive forensics etc. voltage's "lawyers" NEED THEIR BS "works" on people's hard drives, otherwise their extortion scheme is not going to work. So a requirement to issue of "cease and desist letter" is a literal command to voltage to go and f..k themselves right now while they are not yet liable for more money then they owe TSI for their BS inquiry to get personal info of account holders in a first place.

IMHO

Interesting view. It looks like Voltage is in a pickle with that one. No letter equals no serious intent to stop alleged sharers. Letter equals a request to delete their works from hard drive. I hope they realize that and simply are looking for a cheap exit strategy without loosing their stupid gonads in Canada.

davegravy

@teksavvy.com
reply to ontarian

said by ontarian :

IMHO. It looks like voltage's nutz are in a Vise now cause "cease and desist letter" must tell alleged "pirates" to STOP SHARING BS "works" + REMOVE THEM FROM THE HARD DRIVE (so they are not "shared" anymore). voltage clowns do not want people to remove their BS "works" form hard drives cause NO BS "works" - no "evidence" in case they want to take some people to court to make an exemplary case with hard drive forensics etc. voltage's "lawyers" NEED THERE BS "works" on people's hard drives, otherwise their extortion scheme is not going to work. So a requirement to issue of "cease and desist letter" is a literal command to voltage to go and f..k themselves right now while they are not yet liable for more money then they owe TSI for their BS inquiry to get personal info of account holders in a first place.

IMHO

I'd be pretty happy if that were truly their conundrum, but I don't see why ceasing to share Voltage's work over bittorrent is equal to deleting it from the accused's hard drive.

You can stop sharing while preserving the evidence, can't you?

shrug

@videotron.ca

said by davegravy :

You can stop sharing while preserving the evidence, can't you?

You are assuming that mom & pop know this.

I've seen some parents get those notice-and-notice letters from ISP's and mom & pop know nothing of p2p.

Dr Facts

@gc.ca
reply to davegravy

I'm not sure anyone is actually legally compelled to do anything with any file; an email from Voltage via TSI is hardly binding.

But the lack of C&D is just baffling, you'd think to buttress their punitive damages case they would have fired that off the second it came up in court realizing they should have done it from the get-go.

The only reasons I can think of are

a) Their lawyer is just incompetent.
b) They've given up
c) They're playing some sneaky Jedi 3D chess game that we just can't see

Dork

@184.151.63.x
reply to davegravy

+1

a torrent does not equal the data you get from it. you can simply stop the torrent, or delete the torrent without deleting the data (read crappy movie)

plus if it were deleted forensics could still find a trace

They WANT their work shared so they can sue (or at least threaten to) more later

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

said by Dork :

+1

a torrent does not equal the data you get from it. you can simply stop the torrent, or delete the torrent without deleting the data (read crappy movie)

plus if it were deleted forensics could still find a trace

They WANT their work shared so they can sue (or at least threaten to) more later

There are ways around that... The file contents still remain on the hard drive able to be recovered until such a time as the drive sector is over-written. It's a simple matter of re-writing the sector(s) repeatedly to wipe the contents. Once done, no amount of forensics can retrieve the data from the drive.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

No amount of forensics can retrieve the data from the inside a raging volcano.