spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DHangover
@verizon.net

DHangover

Anon

QAM vs. STB Delay - settings for super bowl

With the big game on tomorrow, I was setting up my room - 1 QAM tuner TV behind the bar and 1 HDTV with STB (no QAM Tuner). I tuned to the CBS HD Feed on both today and the QAM Tuner was significantly further ahead than the STB. I don't remember there being this big a difference in the past. In previous years, they were maybe slightly different, but not nearly as bad as what I noticed today.

Since I can do QAM on both tvs (and cant do STB on both at this point, either) are there any set top box settings that will get me more of a passthrough and less delay??

Thanks!
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Try clearing the buffer in the STB by flipping around to several channels and then back to the feed you want.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

There is no buffer on the Non-dvrhd stb. There will always be a delay. Nothing you can do about it.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by PoloDude:

There is no buffer on the Non-dvrhd stb. There will always be a delay. Nothing you can do about it.

I know that sucks, there is always a slight delay on all digital boxes, never was a problem in old days of analog boxes. I know I am always behind with ringing in the New Year vs real time by a few seconds.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to DHangover

Premium Member

to DHangover
So, depending on which way you turn in the room, you can either be fortune teller and predict the outcome of each play, or you can have permanent instant replay. For no extra charge...

timing101
@verizon.net

timing101 to PoloDude

Anon

to PoloDude
dvr will create a delay. hdmi will create a delay. component output from a non-dvr will give same timing as a QAM tuner. hope this helps.

DhHangover
@verizon.net

DhHangover

Anon

said by timing101 :

dvr will create a delay. hdmi will create a delay. component output from a non-dvr will give same timing as a QAM tuner. hope this helps.

Thanks. That doesn't really help (the STB is a DVR), but I appreciate the info! Thought it was worth a try to see if there was anything I could do...

DH
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer

Best thing to do I guess is run a temporary cable from the STB to the other television so both are delayed.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to DHangover

to DHangover
Not that it has any bearing, now, but we have an HD DVR in the family room and a DCT700 on a TV in the kitchen (15' away from each other). Last night, with the DVR tuned to 503 (local CBS HD channel) and the DCT700 tuned to 3, the HD DVR was about 1/2 to 1 second AHEAD of the DCT700. I'm guessing that is because the SD channel is cropped from the HD transmission and there is a delay caused by the conversion time.

However, if I tuned to a movie channel (e.g. HBO 401, or 901), the DCT700 programming was about 3 seconds ahead of the HD DVR. Tuning to other channels and then back on the DVR did not change the delay to any noticeable extent. But, the local 3/503 broadcasts continue to favor the DVR by about a second and that is still the same today.

I don't have any TVs connected to receive clear QAM signals.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Rattler:

You will notice the difference with Clear QAM, it's ahead of all boxes by about 2-3 seconds. I should have watched the Super Bowl that way, then I could have gotten to bed a few seconds earlier

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by matcarl:

said by Rattler:

You will notice the difference with Clear QAM, it's ahead of all boxes by about 2-3 seconds. I should have watched the Super Bowl that way, then I could have gotten to bed a few seconds earlier

Heh, heh!

But I couldn't... I wanted to watch Elementary and couldn't record it because the SB screwed up the programming times (would've happened anyway, Super Dome blackout or not). But, then again, Elementary would've finished a little earlier as well. So, I guess you're right...

I also wasn't sure whether CBS would've put that episode on VOD or not.