Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

Macleans has an alternative viewpoint to the common claim that it's "Amazon" that's stealing their business (which I don't buy), and suggests it's customer service that influenced the closures of Best Buy and Sears:

quote:
But Best Buy and Sears wouldn’t be vulnerable to these threats if not for a more fundamental problem: Lousy customer service. The big story in Canadian retail right now isn’t really about the rise of e-commerce or a new competitor. It’s that one of the central tenets of shopping—the customer is always right—is once again a life or death commandment.
quote:
But shopping at a Best Buy, or one of the company’s Future Shop locations, is most often an exercise in annoyance rather than respect. Customers complain that sales staff were difficult to find and unknowledgeable or pushy when they did materialize. Sears suffered similar problems; in some locations, you are more likely to spot a Yeti than a sales associate. Both Best Buy and Sears trailed far behind competitors like Costco and Sam’s Club in pleasing their patrons, according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), an annual survey of 70,000 shoppers.
»www2.macleans.ca/2013/02/01/jame···est-buy/

The bolded part is so true, especially at my local Future Shop where a couple of these little fuckers say shit that's outright wrong and swindle people into buying stuff they don't need.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

1 edit
You nailed it - the future shop that closed in Barrie was newer, bigger, and in a better location. And their service sucked...

I went into the 'new' future shop this summer to buy an iPad... Cash in hand, knew what I wanted... Could have been the easiest $750 someone made all afternoon... Couldn't find a sales person... The one seemed to be actively avoiding customers; the other was actually sitting on a counter, popping bubble wrap... After 15 unsuccessful minutes, I left... On the way out, I stopped at the front desk, and told the supervisor that they just lost an iPad, case, and accessories sale... She didn't really seem to care.

I went to the 'old' store, and had the exact opposite experience; a young man (Deep was his name) was very helpful, without being pushy in the slightest... He apologized for the other store, even... Spent about a grand with him in maybe 20 minutes, and probably less...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by LazMan:

You nailed it - the future shop that closed in Barrie was newer, bigger, and in a better location. And their service sucked...

I went into the 'new' future shop this summer to buy an iPad... Cash in hand, knew what I wanted... Could have been the easiest $750 someone made all afternoon... Couldn't find a sales person... The one seemed to be actively avoiding customers; the other was actually sitting on a counter, popping bubble wrap... After 15 unsuccessful minutes, I left... On the way out, I stopped at the front desk, and told the supervisor that they just lost an iPad, case, and accessories sale... She didn't really seem to care.

I went to the 'old' store, and had the exact opposite experience; a young man (Deep was his name) was very helpful, without being pushy in the slightest... He apologized for the other store, even... Spent about a grand with him in maybe 20 minutes, and probably less...

I'm not surprised, there is no margin in idevices, and thus a commissioned sales person who is paid on profit, is not going to spend time with you, with the potential loss of a larger margin item to someone else.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
There may be no margin on the devices, but the accessories and cases are HIGH margin items... And I wanted the full deal.

Plus wasn't even able to talk to either salesperson to tell them what I was looking for...

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to urbanriot
> > But shopping at a Best Buy, or one of the company's Future Shop locations,
> > is most often an exercise in annoyance rather than respect. Customers complain
> > that sales staff were difficult to find and unknowledgeable or pushy when they did
> > materialize. Sears suffered similar problems; in some locations, you are more likely
> > to spot a Yeti than a sales associate. Both Best Buy and Sears trailed far
> > behind competitors like Costco and Sam's Club in pleasing their patrons,
> > according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), an annual survey of
> > 70,000 shoppers.

Again, this aspect of customer service is exactly what you get when you staff a big-box electronics store with 75 - 100 part-time, high turnover employees, instead of say 20 full-time employees.

I don't buy the fact that the fear of unionization is why the retailers go with part-time staff. By now, everyone in Ontario is aware that if you go on strike in a private-sector business, that business isin't going to mess around with you - they will close and kick your ass out on the road. Ask the people that used to work at the Caterpillar plant (formerly GM Diesel) in London if their union experience worked out for them.

Places like Costco make it a point of selling stuff that doesn't require customer assistance. A TV is a TV these days, and you don't need customer assistance to answer questions about 5-gallon pails of salad dressing.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

There may be no margin on the devices, but the accessories and cases are HIGH margin items... And I wanted the full deal.

Sure, like this 10' no-name 'Dynex' USB cable for $29.99
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···4a51en02

vs. 10' StarTech USB cable for $3.41
»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=48045···0DT%20SB

This isn't the cause of their demise though, as places like Staples do exactly the same thing... and people buy this stuff, without knowing better. Heck, sometimes people buy the extra cables for the new printers since they're trashing the old cables with their old printer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
You are taking things out of context.

When you sell a commodity good like a TV, PC etc, there is almost no margin in it. If they sell you a $30 USB or HDMI cable , that's where the profit is.

That said, 30 bucks for a USB cable is outrageous, I've bought a ton of things from Monoprice, simply because it's so much cheaper.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

and you don't need customer assistance to answer questions about 5-gallon pails of salad dressing.

EWW that's alot of Salad dressing

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

... You should probably re-read my post because I responded to him with direct context.

said by elwoodblues:

When you sell a commodity good like a TV, PC etc, there is almost no margin in it. If they sell you a $30 USB or HDMI cable , that's where the profit is.

Yet despite that, our area has two stores that focus on selling home theatre electronics, both of which have been around in some capacity or another since I moved to Niagara Falls and shopped for my first VCR back in the 80's.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to sm5w2
well to have all part time workers is a smart business move. that way if one leaves it has no effect on your business as the person is not doing a key job you don't need a skilled person to replace them.

I do know best buys do have a shit-ton of mangers the one I was at in Barrie had at least 7 of them. Sucked as one would tell me one thing and the other would say something else. Sucked working there I even got in shit cause I was doing to much work. Forking teens were pretty damn lazy.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
said by TOPDAWG:

well to have all part time workers is a smart business move. that way if one leaves it has no effect on your business as the person is not doing a key job you don't need a skilled person to replace them.

I do know best buys do have a shit-ton of mangers the one I was at in Barrie had at least 7 of them. Sucked as one would tell me one thing and the other would say something else. Sucked working there I even got in shit cause I was doing to much work. Forking teens were pretty damn lazy.

Work for yourself, it's much better!
--
"Recognize, Realize, and Repent"

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

... You should probably re-read my post because I responded to him with direct context.

said by elwoodblues:

Yet despite that, our area has two stores that focus on selling home theatre electronics, both of which have been around in some capacity or another since I moved to Niagara Falls and shopped for my first VCR back in the 80's.

Uhm it's called VOLUME, the item exampled above a commodity items, especially on the low end.

Those $30 USB/hdmi cables keep them afloat
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB
reply to zacron
working on that now.