spc
uniqs

damonlab
Premium Member
join:2001-05-02
Detroit, MI

damonlab

Premium Member

Why do they want my social security number?

I tried to a signup and they said I had to either provide them my social security number, pay a deposit, or visit a service center. I do not like any of those options.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Credit check...

Don't like them ? Don't get service.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to damonlab

to damonlab
said by damonlab:

I tried to a signup and they said I had to either provide them my social security number, pay a deposit, or visit a service center. I do not like any of those options.

youre not going to be able to get a car/cell phone/internet/shelter or many other things in life if you dont do at least 2 of those things.

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

1 recommendation

Aozora to damonlab

to damonlab
So they accidentally lose it or some lazy service person sells it on the black market. Trust me, the process you have through go to to fix anything with the government is hell. Everyone, as you can see on this forum, is more than happy to shell out their number so we have all these companies who "require" that you provide it to them.
djcrazy
Premium Member
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN

djcrazy to damonlab

Premium Member

to damonlab
This is so they can do a credit check. I didn't even know you could just pay a deposit in lieu of providing a SSN or I probably would have chosen this option. I have had service with them since they were AT&T ( Thank god that changed, I loath AT&T) so maybe that deposit option is new.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

New for many years, sure.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to damonlab

Premium Member

to damonlab
They don't do credit checks in all markets. When I signed up years ago (2006), I had to pay for the first month of service in advance to the installer.

Some areas may prohibit them from running credit checks in their franchising agreement. Where I live (Springfield, MA which is an urban area) they would not have any customers if they ran credit checks.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Yes they do. You either pay a larger install (deposit fee), or you get a credit check + install fee, unless there is a promo.

trythisfirst
@comcast.net

trythisfirst to damonlab

Anon

to damonlab
If you choose to pay a deposit, make sure you are present for the install. You should then be required to show a photo ID at time of install to prove your identity, if not the tech is required to cancel your appointment.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Which in most cases is a good share of people now days. Companies that base things off credit is declining. look at the prepaid cell market compared to the contract side. contract is losing customers and prepaid is picking up customers. when more and more companies see that, they'll move away from credit terms. The same as other countries, just the US is slow at that- hence why we still don't use metric for every day living.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Verizon Wireless approved my credit for contract service despite having past credit problems. Of course I pay them and Comcast on-time every month. When a recession hits, sometimes you have to prioritize your bills like paying the rent/mortgage and utilities (phone, electric, etc) before the credit cards.

I am not going to go into too much detail on my financial situation as this is not the forum for it nor do I wish to go into detail.

I am probably not the only one in this situation. Many companies are lowering their credit standards in order to open an account (such as cell providers and cable/satellite companies).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
And thats basically what a security deposit accomplishes. Basically makes it pre paid. All of comcasts customers and all cable companies are technically pre paid as we all are paying for the month in advance.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

not totally. prepaid means no deposit. meaning you pay in advanced for services. that deposit only ensures that if you do not pay your services, they keep what ever you owe them and then return what you do not. pre-paid services you don't get a refund.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
VZW is approving everyone anymore due to prepaid is more popular now.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
No you only get the first month even with a credit check. After the first month everyone is paying for the next month of service. Comcast use to let people get as much as 2 months out without paying. Its like 15 days now. because they bill in advance and let you get to 45 days means They are shutting you off at 15 days now even tho its 45 days late. When you get your cable bill its for the next month of service not the last. The security deposit essentially means its pre paid. cable has always been based on your paying for the next month of service and not the last. If you do or dont pay the security deposit your first bill is going to be for the time between then and the first bill plus the second month. Payable on that bill. Not really pre paid but not much different .
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

You can try and spin that a deposit means prepaid all you want. But that is not a deposit. You do not understand the word deposit and prepayment or paid upfront.

If it was paid UP FRONT then it would NOT be a deposit. In fact they would tell you that it was paid up front. A deposit means you're putting money into THEIR ACCOUNT which becomes their's if you default on your bill and or not returning equipment. If you are paid in full and leave you would get that back. That is a deposit.

And yes cable has always been one month in advance expect for PPV/on-demand services.

And yes it is different. You are again, claiming that deposit is a prepayment when in fact it is not.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to damonlab

MVM

to damonlab
said by damonlab:

What option were you looking for?

trythis325
@27.50.70.x

trythis325 to damonlab

Anon

to damonlab
They'll still try to pull a credit report, but you can order AT&T on their website without an SSN (maybe with a bogus name?). They'll send you a letter or just put the order on hold and ask you for a $50 or $100 payment which is immediately applied to your bill/balance.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to damonlab

to damonlab
If you can go to the service center and not have to do a deposit, it may be worth it. If you're going to pay a deposit regardless, do it over the phone. In my area, since I didn't want to hand them my SSN, I had to go to a service center and give them a $50 deposit for the one piece of equipment. They couldn't do that over the phone. They eventually credited the deposit back to me a little after a year.

Know exactly what you want and be prepared to pay any deposits that you may need to pay so you can get out of there fast. Keep in mind that the people at the service center can be mean. The one that's 15 miles away that "services" my home address and the one that' 3 miles away from work both had grumpy, mean women. I would contribute money towards some giggalos for those ladies. The last time I went to a service center, it was when they were opening and the rep just tore up the first customer; all of the customers were polite and patient so there was no grounds for her to rip the guy a new one just for doing what the phone CSR told him to do.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2 to damonlab

MVM

to damonlab
said by damonlab:

When one is opening a monthly account for a service from a company, it is not unreasonable to expect that said company either wants to establish a customer's ability/willingness to pay historically, or in lieu of that, ask for a substantial enough deposit to lessen their potential loss if the customer does not pay.

What other options could they offer that would satisfy this criteria?

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to noc007

Premium Member

to noc007

said by noc007 See Profile

The one that's 15 miles away that "services" my home address and the one that' 3 miles away from work both had grumpy, mean women. I would contribute money towards some giggalos for those ladies. The last time I went to a service center, it was when they were opening and the rep just tore up the first customer; all of the customers were polite and patient so there was no grounds for her to rip the guy a new one just for doing what the phone CSR told him to do.

Giggalos?

aabaaf
join:2011-12-09
Wheaton, IL

aabaaf

They want it for the same reasons everyone else has stated before. The deposit "MAY" be returned to you after X months/years of good repayment, but most likely will just be held in deposit with COMCAST, till you terminate your service. The deposit again depending on the area, must be paid before your install date, and can be required to be paid up to a week or so before, or they will cancel the install appointment, and the entire order will need to be setup again. You would lose any and all specials and promos that you were given the first time, and most likely would not be able to get them back. The service center option, is to show a COMCAST representative your ID, so that YOU do not have to be there on the day of install, that another person, wife, child over 18, neighbor, etc..... could be there while you are at work. As stated the deposit is a deposit, it does not cover the first month of service, or anything, and will be returned to you a few weeks after you terminate service with them. The amount can vary depending on what type of service, service level, and equipment you want. The main reason to require it, are the area you live in, has had a past bad history, or that you want a DVR, one of the most $$$$$$$$$$$ pieces of equipment from COMCAST.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Which in most cases is a good share of people now days. Companies that base things off credit is declining. look at the prepaid cell market compared to the contract side. contract is losing customers and prepaid is picking up customers. when more and more companies see that, they'll move away from credit terms. The same as other countries, just the US is slow at that- hence why we still don't use metric for every day living.

prepaid is winning because it doesn't have all the unfees that postpaid does. the providers know if they pull this shit theres no etf or any of the other make money off unhappy subs charges.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to damonlab

to damonlab
Asking for SSN, or possibly, Driver's License, as ID as verification to receive services is nothing new. Charter required my number in 2001 as did my cell phone provider. Landlords and employers run credit inquiries. Comcast Chicago accounts needed ID at least in 2004, if not sooner. TWC only received moved to credit checks which shut down a lot of potential sales. Creating false SSN's and papers for migrant workers, among others, has been a thriving business for years. Add to that, parents using their children's SSN's to obtain utilities. These financial losses add to the regular consumer's cost of service.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by NightOwl2:

Asking for SSN, or possibly, Driver's License, as ID as verification to receive services is nothing new. Charter required my number in 2001 as did my cell phone provider. Landlords and employers run credit inquiries. Comcast Chicago accounts needed ID at least in 2004, if not sooner. TWC only received moved to credit checks which shut down a lot of potential sales. Creating false SSN's and papers for migrant workers, among others, has been a thriving business for years. Add to that, parents using their children's SSN's to obtain utilities. These financial losses add to the regular consumer's cost of service.

When I was 3 years old, we lived in a duplex and the neighbors in the downstairs unit were complete dirtbags with kids (kids ended up getting taken by child protective services) and domestic violence was a nightly occurrence. We ended up moving because my mother feared for our safety.

My mother looked in the phone book and found that they had put the phone in their 18 month old's name because they had the phone shut off for non-payment.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

(OT)Thank your mother for moving you! I worked in protective services many, many years ago, in a rural area, and still shudder at the memories, stories you don't even see on tv.

SpottedCat
join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

SpottedCat to damonlab

to damonlab
Why do they even need to do a credit check? This is not like a cel phone where they subsidize an expensive phone and actually lose money if you stop paying...

If you stop paying your cable bill they simply disconnect you. The company doesn't lose much, and you pay for installation anyway so they already recovered that cost.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

1 recommendation

ExoticFish

Because if you get cable boxes, DVRs, modems etc... Running a credit check shows how much you can be trusted with their products. It's not only service.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to SpottedCat

Premium Member

to SpottedCat
They dont lose much, LOL it can easily be more than a phone. Part of the game for many years has been start with minimum and order more to try and get as much as they can. You would be surprised how many one year olds have accounts with comcast. Finally at least comcast has smartened up to make sure the social is at least a certain amount of years old. Nothing like knocking on a door to collect the cable bill to be pointed to a baby as the account holder. No less than a hundred times that happened to me when i worked for comcast. Them days are over thanks to this exact policy.
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Identity theft is something totally different. Yes, using your underage child's SS# is still identity theft.

And it doesn't matter how much they lose product wise, it's still theirs.