how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dbv

join:2008-12-28
Ottawa, ON

VOIP providers in Ontario?

I'm moving to a place with no DSL so I'm thinking Teksavvy cable plus VOIP. Anyone using VOIP at home and who's your provider?

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON

voip.ms with an ObiTalk box. Avoid the Toronto server (I use montreal even though it's further away). My monthly bill is less than $5.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
reply to dbv

I use Vonage's International Unlimited plan with TekSavvy cable, never suffer any issues. Just don't fully saturate your upload and you'll be fine with any VOIP service.

Got no complaints with my Vonage service.

netls

@teksavvy.com
reply to graniterock

Voip.ms is the best it seems but complicated to set up and in case you need to trouble shoot in a household with other people who won't bother with it.

From what I've read, Ooma is the best one in terms of cheap monthly/simplicity/reliability. Only drawback is that it's a rip-off to get going ($150 without even a handset).

mattvmotas
Premium
join:2010-09-04
Amherstburg, ON
reply to dbv

I currently use voicemeup.com, not the cheapest but good service. I will be switching to voip.ms when my credits are used up.
--
Matt

tempus6

join:2004-10-19
Barrie, ON
reply to dbv

Flowroute is US based but offer Ontario DID's. I have found they have excellent support and are very reliable. Plus they route the voice packets of a call to a gateway near the termination location which leads to very good quality and low jitter.

NOTORIOUS VR

join:2008-12-17
TORONTO, ON
reply to graniterock

said by graniterock:

voip.ms with an ObiTalk box. Avoid the Toronto server (I use montreal even though it's further away). My monthly bill is less than $5.

Same

Montreal DSL

join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL
reply to dbv

I use 3 voip providers:

- TekTalk from Teksavvy (main)
- freephoneline (2nd)
- voip.ms (3rd)

All of them are ok ... I put the 3 of them in this order based on my needs, but all 3 work ok

rainor94

join:2009-03-05
reply to dbv

I use freephoneline.ca
One time $50 charge for the service and to port the number over $25.
So for a total of $75 you will have VOIP service for life with your existing phone number.

Gwai Lo Dan

join:2007-01-24
L5B 0C8
reply to Montreal DSL

said by Montreal DSL:

I use 3 voip providers:

- TekTalk from Teksavvy (main)
- freephoneline (2nd)
- voip.ms (3rd)

All of them are ok ... I put the 3 of them in this order based on my needs, but all 3 work ok

What do you find lacking about freephoneline? I am thinking of changing to freephoneline and wonder if/how they are any worse than others.

dbv

join:2008-12-28
Ottawa, ON
reply to dbv

Thanks guys! Helpful lot, as always.

I'll check out TekTalk, freephoneline.ca and voip.ms once I move in.

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

It depends on your usage whether you should go with flat rate providers like Vonage, Primus, TekSavvy or pay as you go providers like voip.ms for FPL (long distance isn't free with them). Most people probably keep in contact with their mobile devices, email and skype so voice calling is dropping in usage which is why voip.ms and FPL are popular with people who don't use the phone as much anymore.

But in my parents household, my mother uses the phone heavily, to talk to her friends in the city, Toronto, the US, and a few international countries. Setting them up with unlimited usage via Vonage was the better value. A credit card gets billed monthly for the same amount without needing to worry about buying credits.

Montreal DSL

join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

For a residential service it would be no issues ... Just that using the voip services as a prosumer I prefer to have Tektalk as the main line and freephoneline as a back-up ...

kragop

join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to dbv

said by dbv:

I'm moving to a place with no DSL so I'm thinking Teksavvy cable plus VOIP. Anyone using VOIP at home and who's your provider?

I'm using TekTalk from Teksavvy. I think its the best service around. $14.95/month, reliable service, clear voice quality, easy to setup, and overall great service.

My friend recently switched to TekTalk and is really happy with the service too.

kragop

Scarborough, ON
reply to dbv

one more thing: with Teksavvy everything is on one bill, so your no dealing with different providers. Makes managing bills easy.

kragop

Scarborough, ON
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

Sometimes freephoneline cuts out, making the service unreliable. I briefly used them, but I couldn't stand using them during busy times.

old sparks

join:2011-02-17
Greely, ON
reply to dbv

I was quite happy with voip.ms, but their service got crappy in the fall, so I switched to their Montreal server and everything seems good again...

MZB

join:2010-11-25
Dunrobin, ON

Another voip.ms fan.

Note that they have been upgrading servers recently, so advice about avoiding Toronto servers may now be out of date.

If you are using DSL in Ottawa, all your packets to Montreal go via Toronto anyway...

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

1 edit
reply to dbv

For what it's worth, I'm with Vonage and haven't had an issue to speak of in a loooooong time. The only "issue" I had at first had to do with my internet connection. Once I got the issue with the packet size sorted out, I haven't had a problem re-appear.

To my understanding, there is a certain issue with the current Vonage ATA that they release, however the older V-Portal for example has been problem free from the very start. I've also found their rates and services to be quite competitive compared to some other providers.

(EDIT: I forgot to mention... It works GREAT on TekSavvy Cable and TekSavvy DSL as well)

(EDIT: BEWARE of Vonage if you're planning on using multiple IP addresses. Apparently, there is NO way in which to DISABLE the NAT on Vonage adapters, which means you CANNOT use a Vonage device as a router for the purposes of using multiple IP addresses. They just won't support it.)

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to dbv

+1 voip.ms

Only been with them a few months and the few issues I did have were resolved by their support staff that I would imagine receive an electrical shock when a ticket is opened (seriously I have tickets that have been personally responded to within minutes of being opened)

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON
reply to dbv

voip.ms works well for me and extended family/friends. They have been upgrading their servers for increased capacity and have a similar policy to teksavvy with direct contact to one of the heads of their service.

His name is MartinM and can be found posting here: »VOIP Tech Chat

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to Gwai Lo Dan

said by Gwai Lo Dan:

What do you find lacking about freephoneline? I am thinking of changing to freephoneline and wonder if/how they are any worse than others.

I started using a freephoneline number that I always forward to a voip.ms number. I get regular noise spikes doing this... I should probably try setting up a phone to ring directly so that I can compare them, but so far I've found them to be a little annoying.

They can do SMS though, which is huge. I have BlueStacks running the fongo app on my PC, and when a customer texts me I can paste email length messages easily.
--
electronicsguru.ca

WiMax

join:2003-07-12
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to dbv

I've used iKtel, not worth it. They can't keep their systems up and running, they do "Scheduled" maintenance during the day and don't bother to warn their customers. Last week I had no phone service for 4 days.

I've had GREAT service with Vonage. My parents also have it. If you want a free month of Vonage service when you subscribe, PM me before you sign up and I can tell you how to do it.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:5
reply to dbv

You guys should check out the VoIP Tech Chat which is another forum on this site. You'll find a lot of options and find there are reps from a lot of providers, including Canadian ones.
--
I represent AcroVoice, a full service Canadian VoIP Provider.
Buy your Obihai ATA shipped from within Canada.

dbusguy

join:2003-03-03
Mississauga, ON
reply to dbv

Been using Vonage since Oct 2007. Never had a problem. Used Vonage while on Rogers cable, T.S. dsl and now T.S. cable

twizzler66

join:2011-06-25
Guelph, ON
reply to dbv

+1 voip.ms - been on it for a year now with very little issue (server switched fixed all issues).

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
reply to dbv

+1 voip.ms. One year anniversary this March. No problems to date. Use very infrequently so the low cost (approx $1 per month suits me just fine).

londoner1

join:2007-04-26
London, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dbv

+1 voip.ms been using only for a couple of months...indeed tech support when you need them are super fast to respond.....using a LInksys SPA 3102...tons of included features like voicemail to email feature (great for when you're not home to get msg's).... have set up a buddy that rarely uses a phone with a simple SIP program on his ipod touch....in effect he didn't need any hardware and has a phone bill that runs about $2 a month....it also gives him the flexibility to use the voip anywhere he has Internet (ie coffee house)

cidknee0

join:2009-02-28
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to dbv

Personally I use the home phone service from modernworks.

I have never had an issue and sound quality is great. I used to use voip.ms, and always had sound quality issues. That and getting a hold of support is a pain.
I had family on Magic Jack which was horrible, they just switched and cant be happier.

Go with what you feel is best for you, I like the all in one solution where I don't have to get too techy and its all just plug and play. I can set all this up myself, but why when the experts can do it for me.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to dbv

If you want to set it up yourself, but don't need a lot of extra VoIP features, go with freephoneline. No monthly fees, just a one time payment.

If you want a lot of customization and extra VoIP features, go with Voip.MS. Monthly fees, but very small. Normal usage is $10.

If you want nothing to do with the set up, go with TekTalk. The more expensive of the above, but the TekSavvy guys take care of everything and it's still cheaper than a POTS phone with all the features included.