spc
uniqs
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

1 recommendation

GLIMMER to beachintech

to beachintech

Re: [IL] Tech Has to install phone service?

ya know I called and set up a service apt to have this installed. The guy goes you know if there is no power the service wont work right. I was like were the hell is the battery backup in the modem? guy goes we dont include them with the modem it causes firmware problems. But you can ask the tech for a battery.

Now if your going to require a tech because of regulations then maybe you should read the regulation that the modem MUST have a battery backup....

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

danawhitaker

Premium Member

said by GLIMMER:

ya know I called and set up a service apt to have this installed. The guy goes you know if there is no power the service wont work right. I was like were the hell is the battery backup in the modem? guy goes we dont include them with the modem it causes firmware problems. But you can ask the tech for a battery.

Now if your going to require a tech because of regulations then maybe you should read the regulation that the modem MUST have a battery backup....

Is it true that the battery backup causes firmware problems? I had a tech tell me that as well. Mine has a battery and I've kept it in there. I thought it seemed like BS since they included the battery with my modem in the first place. That being said, I also have mine plugged into a UPS. But, what I've had happen is that if the power outage is wide enough, it appeared there was no backup power wherever my service runs through in the area anyway, so all the backups in the world on my end were pointless.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

Some areas don't have a (working) power backup. Expect to lose dial tone if your power is out. New phone modems don't even have a place to insert battery in. It doesn't mater since 99.99% of people no longer have one of those simple corded phones that get power via phone cord so when the power goes out their phones lose power too.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

which is bullcrap they should have working power backups. My point is there should be a self install kit since you cant make the service work if the power is out. Then e911 should be a mute point. Personally its mediacoms fault all areas dont have a battery backup. If you want to be a phone company be one don't half ass it.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

So how do you install battery in this modem?

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 6881.pdf (PDF file, pics on page 3)

Odd that this product is approved by FCC but yet they have rules about mandatory battery backup?

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Thorndale, ON

1 recommendation

danawhitaker to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

Some areas don't have a (working) power backup. Expect to lose dial tone if your power is out. New phone modems don't even have a place to insert battery in. It doesn't mater since 99.99% of people no longer have one of those simple corded phones that get power via phone cord so when the power goes out their phones lose power too.

That's funny. I must just know the .01% of people who all still have one traditional corded phone in their house, and they must all live in Des Moines. I don't know many people who don't have one "normal" phone. We actually have two - one on each floor. Then again, I've had to call 911 more times than I'd like to be able to count over the past few years for relatives with chronic health conditions, so I'm careful about making sure I have access to a phone that's not going to die. In the event of a real outage though, I have my cell phone as a last resort.

But yeah, when the power goes out, I just expect I'm not going to have service and it's a pleasant surprise if I do.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

That's because Mediacom does next to no PM work.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

said by beachintech:

said by Anonymous88:

That's because Mediacom does next to no PM work.

You are correct.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

So how do you install battery in this modem?

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· 6881.pdf (PDF file, pics on page 3)

Odd that this product is approved by FCC but yet they have rules about mandatory battery backup?

mediacom still could provide a upc backup and that model modem also has a battery option. So that means mediacom is to cheap to buy the better modem.... also if they would quit using the cisco crap and use the moto emta's they would have battery backups.

»www.motorola.com/Video-S ··· 0+_US-EN
kb0nly
join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN

kb0nly

Around here it doesn't matter if they have modems with batteries or a large UPS for it, when the power goes out the cable and internet goes with it, i know because my modem and computer are on a large UPS, and when the power drops the entire cable system goes with it.

I have been looking at the Verizon home phone connect, its a small cellular phone and battery in a little router sized box with an antenna and a phone jack to plug in regular phones or the entire house in place of the landline at your demarc. I know a few people that have these now, they unplugged the house line in the demarc box and then went inside and plugged the Verizon home phone connect to a phone jack where it has a good signal and now all the wired phones in the house have service through it. Works great.

I will probably get one for my kids to have phone service for emergencies, i don't want to deal with them losing a cell phone, damaging one, running up the bill, etc. I only have cell phones here, no landline phone. When the power goes down the cell tower here stays up thanks to a large UPS and generator on site, when we got wiped out by a tornado in 2011 the only thing that worked was the cellular service.