join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to LazMan

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

said by LazMan:

There may be no margin on the devices, but the accessories and cases are HIGH margin items... And I wanted the full deal.

Sure, like this 10' no-name 'Dynex' USB cable for $29.99
»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/···4a51en02

vs. 10' StarTech USB cable for $3.41
»www.ncix.com/products/?sku=48045···0DT%20SB

This isn't the cause of their demise though, as places like Staples do exactly the same thing... and people buy this stuff, without knowing better. Heck, sometimes people buy the extra cables for the new printers since they're trashing the old cables with their old printer.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

You are taking things out of context.

When you sell a commodity good like a TV, PC etc, there is almost no margin in it. If they sell you a $30 USB or HDMI cable , that's where the profit is.

That said, 30 bucks for a USB cable is outrageous, I've bought a ton of things from Monoprice, simply because it's so much cheaper.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by elwoodblues:

... You should probably re-read my post because I responded to him with direct context.

said by elwoodblues:

When you sell a commodity good like a TV, PC etc, there is almost no margin in it. If they sell you a $30 USB or HDMI cable , that's where the profit is.

Yet despite that, our area has two stores that focus on selling home theatre electronics, both of which have been around in some capacity or another since I moved to Niagara Falls and shopped for my first VCR back in the 80's.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

... You should probably re-read my post because I responded to him with direct context.

said by elwoodblues:

Yet despite that, our area has two stores that focus on selling home theatre electronics, both of which have been around in some capacity or another since I moved to Niagara Falls and shopped for my first VCR back in the 80's.

Uhm it's called VOLUME, the item exampled above a commodity items, especially on the low end.

Those $30 USB/hdmi cables keep them afloat
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......