Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy to damonlab

Premium Member

to damonlab

Re: Why do they want my social security number?

They don't do credit checks in all markets. When I signed up years ago (2006), I had to pay for the first month of service in advance to the installer.

Some areas may prohibit them from running credit checks in their franchising agreement. Where I live (Springfield, MA which is an urban area) they would not have any customers if they ran credit checks.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Yes they do. You either pay a larger install (deposit fee), or you get a credit check + install fee, unless there is a promo.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Which in most cases is a good share of people now days. Companies that base things off credit is declining. look at the prepaid cell market compared to the contract side. contract is losing customers and prepaid is picking up customers. when more and more companies see that, they'll move away from credit terms. The same as other countries, just the US is slow at that- hence why we still don't use metric for every day living.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
·Comcast XFINITY

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Verizon Wireless approved my credit for contract service despite having past credit problems. Of course I pay them and Comcast on-time every month. When a recession hits, sometimes you have to prioritize your bills like paying the rent/mortgage and utilities (phone, electric, etc) before the credit cards.

I am not going to go into too much detail on my financial situation as this is not the forum for it nor do I wish to go into detail.

I am probably not the only one in this situation. Many companies are lowering their credit standards in order to open an account (such as cell providers and cable/satellite companies).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
And thats basically what a security deposit accomplishes. Basically makes it pre paid. All of comcasts customers and all cable companies are technically pre paid as we all are paying for the month in advance.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

not totally. prepaid means no deposit. meaning you pay in advanced for services. that deposit only ensures that if you do not pay your services, they keep what ever you owe them and then return what you do not. pre-paid services you don't get a refund.
TBBroadband

TBBroadband to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
VZW is approving everyone anymore due to prepaid is more popular now.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

4 edits

rody_44 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
No you only get the first month even with a credit check. After the first month everyone is paying for the next month of service. Comcast use to let people get as much as 2 months out without paying. Its like 15 days now. because they bill in advance and let you get to 45 days means They are shutting you off at 15 days now even tho its 45 days late. When you get your cable bill its for the next month of service not the last. The security deposit essentially means its pre paid. cable has always been based on your paying for the next month of service and not the last. If you do or dont pay the security deposit your first bill is going to be for the time between then and the first bill plus the second month. Payable on that bill. Not really pre paid but not much different .
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

You can try and spin that a deposit means prepaid all you want. But that is not a deposit. You do not understand the word deposit and prepayment or paid upfront.

If it was paid UP FRONT then it would NOT be a deposit. In fact they would tell you that it was paid up front. A deposit means you're putting money into THEIR ACCOUNT which becomes their's if you default on your bill and or not returning equipment. If you are paid in full and leave you would get that back. That is a deposit.

And yes cable has always been one month in advance expect for PPV/on-demand services.

And yes it is different. You are again, claiming that deposit is a prepayment when in fact it is not.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

Which in most cases is a good share of people now days. Companies that base things off credit is declining. look at the prepaid cell market compared to the contract side. contract is losing customers and prepaid is picking up customers. when more and more companies see that, they'll move away from credit terms. The same as other countries, just the US is slow at that- hence why we still don't use metric for every day living.

prepaid is winning because it doesn't have all the unfees that postpaid does. the providers know if they pull this shit theres no etf or any of the other make money off unhappy subs charges.

ROCINANTE
Original Member 007
Premium Member
join:1999-06-29
Hartsdale, NY

ROCINANTE to TBBroadband

Premium Member

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

You can try and spin that a deposit means prepaid all you want. But that is not a deposit. You do not understand the word deposit and prepayment or paid upfront.

If it was paid UP FRONT then it would NOT be a deposit. In fact they would tell you that it was paid up front. A deposit means you're putting money into THEIR ACCOUNT which becomes their's if you default on your bill and or not returning equipment. If you are paid in full and leave you would get that back. That is a deposit.

And yes cable has always been one month in advance expect for PPV/on-demand services.

And yes it is different. You are again, claiming that deposit is a prepayment when in fact it is not.

Correct. From an accounting perspective, the deposit does go into the company's cash flow for its own use, but it is not considered income (a prepayment) for which the company has to pay taxes. In other words, the company owes this money back to the customer.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Comcast bills a month in advance you are always billed for the next months service not for the last.