spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Springbok
join:2002-09-13
Leander, TX

Springbok

Is my node oversubscribed?

Don’t know if node is the correct term…? Here’s the problem; Early in the mornings I see 84/39 mbps using Verizon’s own speedtest site. Early evenings it seems to drop down into the 50 – 60 mbps downstream range (upstream remains consistently 39). This started happening about a week or so ago, right after I noticed some new fiber being added to one of my neighbor’s home. I usually test with a computer plugged straight into the router, to eliminate LAN variables. I get the same results whether running through my i386 pfSense router or the Actiontec Rev I router.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

Probably not your 32-user node, but most likely a router in Verizon's network. Run a few trace routes to several sites and post them here(before and after). If you have followed this forum at all in recent weeks you'll see many threads identical to yours.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Better yet try this

»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

have you tried rebooting your ont

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I reboot the ONT?
Springbok
Leander, TX

Springbok to McBane

to McBane
said by McBane:

Better yet try this

»speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/

Yup, that's the one I always use.
Springbok

Springbok to hubrisnxs

to hubrisnxs
said by hubrisnxs:

have you tried rebooting your ont

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I reboot the ONT?

Tried that, no difference.
Springbok

Springbok

Click for full size
Doc1.pdf
315,648 bytes
Ok, interesting (should have thought about it before)... using the VZ speedtest to their TX location produces the wildly different results, depending on time of day. Using the Visualware tester (»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php) to a much closer location to me and probably eliminating traversing much of the VZ network produces speeds more closely to what I was expecting.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to Springbok

to Springbok
Run multiple simultaneous high-speed downloads from Microsoft, Apple, etc. such as ISOs or other large files. Verizon's speed tests don't truthfully represent what speed you would be getting elsewhere online but only how fast you connect to the "in-house" Verizon speed test server. With the Fubar'd routing situation currently many people are getting lower speeds at night, with *MAGIC* normal speeds returning in the morning.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Do you have high pings to your gateway when the slowness occurs?
Springbok
Leander, TX

Springbok

Pings to gateway are consistently 2 ms

Revise that: Mostly 1 ms

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Springbok

to Springbok
Then again, it could just be general WWW congestion in the evening hours when all the kiddies are active.