Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IceIceBaby

@pnap.net

Crazy ice in the freezer all the time

Click for full size
Click for full size
What the heck is going on here? I put the water in and it's all flat but when it's frozen I end up with ice spikes almost like "tin whiskers" (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_%2···lurgy%29). It doesn't do this with our hard tap water but does it every time with the reverse-osmosis water at 1 ppm TDS. Any ideas as to what is causing this, does it with two separate freezers and the seals on the freezers are good. The ice maker is off. Maybe an issue with "distilled" water and it having an increased surface tension? Maybe molecular adhesion/attraction to the existing humidity in the freezer?

This post is really more about the curiosity of it and if anyone else has seen this phenomena, it does it consistently, it's not a nuisance or anything just thought it was really neat.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

Interestingly, there's actually an article about this exact phenomena: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_spike

According to the article, ice spikes tend to occur artificially when freezing distilled or de-ionized water, such as the water from your reverse osmosis device.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to IceIceBaby

I think this is VERY cool. Built-in olive holders ... what could be better? More bleu-cheese? I'd never heard/seen of this - that wiki article is awesome.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to TheMG

Cool! I have an RO unit on the sink... I'm gonna have to try that!