sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

[E-mail] Comcast tells user to change from port 25 to 465 FAIL!

A member of an email related forum (outside DSLR) received a letter from Comcast telling him he had to change to port 465 from port 25. Well, that failed!
Well, either they sent out this mail before actually implementing the change at
their end, or there's a disconnect at Comcast.

I responded to that member ...

"Port 465 is used particularly by Exchange Server (Micro$oft) implementations
for inter-server transfers in a multi-server mail handler. It is not
considered a standard port for MSAs (Mail Submission Agents). Mail submission
from clients is port 587. So, I'd be inclined to try that instead.

If that doesn't work, continue with port 25 until it doesn't work! In the
meantime contact Comcast and tell them "it's broke"! "

He reported back that port 587 worked!

So, if you get that mail, be warned - It may not work, and here's how to fix it!

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Re: [E-mail] Comcast tells user to change from port 25 to 465 F

TCP port 465 with SSL/TLS and username/password authentication is very much a standard implementation for mail submission from clients. Yahoo, AT&T and gmail all use it just to name a few.

And yes it does work with smtp.comcast.net

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to sbrook

Going along with what graysonf See Profile has said, port 465 is very common for the SMTP port, which is what the outgoing mail server uses.

In my specific case, I have gmail and yahoo configured in Thunderbird. For both of them on the SMTP Server, I'm using port 465.

The POP Server, on the other hand, is using port 995 in my case.

My mom who also runs Thunderbird has been using port 465 on the SMTP server for quite some time to get her e-mail from Comcast.

I'm thinking that something on your friends end is not configured right, as it does work.

If you want anyone here to take a look at it, post their settings, and we'll see if we can help you out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sbrook

Interesting ... if you read some folks go so far as to suggest the use of port 465 is violating the RFCs to use 465.

On my email services, except for GMail (which is an SSL connection on 465 as opposed to others which are either naked or starttls) are port 587.

That said, 587 is working for him, so that should do unless it fails, when he'll probably be back! On 465 he got timeouts.

Doesn't Comcast use multihomed SMTP servers? With different servers serving different geographies? I found the same letter he received from members in other geographies with 587 as the port to change to.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

I had been using port 587 since joining Comcast last May. I only switched to port 465 after reading your post to see of it worked.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

That said, 587 is working for him, so that should do unless it fails, when he'll probably be back! On 465 he got timeouts.

The person who had that problem was probably not using SSL for the connection. Using port 465 without using SSL will not work. Comcast has supported naked port 25 and 587, and port 587 using TLS, and port 465 using SSL for many years. This is nothing new; what is new is that Comcast is phasing in a universal port 25 port block for its residential customers. Using port 465 with SSL has always worked, and it continues to work; any problem would be with the customer's setup (perhaps with a local firewall setting, if the email client was actually setup properly).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to sbrook

Thanks for the info.

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL

1 edit
reply to sbrook

Here is something from Comcast's FAQ about this subject.

customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···y-email/'

Note: be careful with the SSL settings. Some AV's do not work properly with those ports, such as Norton AV and AVG. (I can not get them to scan emails when I tried them).

This problem might be me but Avast did work those ports.