Gwai Lo Dan to Montreal DSL

to Montreal DSL

Re: VOIP providers in Ontario?

said by Montreal DSL:

I use 3 voip providers:

- TekTalk from Teksavvy (main)
- freephoneline (2nd)
- voip.ms (3rd)

All of them are ok ... I put the 3 of them in this order based on my needs, but all 3 work ok

What do you find lacking about freephoneline? I am thinking of changing to freephoneline and wonder if/how they are any worse than others.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

It depends on your usage whether you should go with flat rate providers like Vonage, Primus, TekSavvy or pay as you go providers like voip.ms for FPL (long distance isn't free with them). Most people probably keep in contact with their mobile devices, email and skype so voice calling is dropping in usage which is why voip.ms and FPL are popular with people who don't use the phone as much anymore.

But in my parents household, my mother uses the phone heavily, to talk to her friends in the city, Toronto, the US, and a few international countries. Setting them up with unlimited usage via Vonage was the better value. A credit card gets billed monthly for the same amount without needing to worry about buying credits.

Montreal DSL
join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL

Montreal DSL to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan
For a residential service it would be no issues ... Just that using the voip services as a prosumer I prefer to have Tektalk as the main line and freephoneline as a back-up ...

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan
Sometimes freephoneline cuts out, making the service unreliable. I briefly used them, but I couldn't stand using them during busy times.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Gwai Lo Dan

Premium Member

to Gwai Lo Dan
said by Gwai Lo Dan:

What do you find lacking about freephoneline? I am thinking of changing to freephoneline and wonder if/how they are any worse than others.

I started using a freephoneline number that I always forward to a voip.ms number. I get regular noise spikes doing this... I should probably try setting up a phone to ring directly so that I can compare them, but so far I've found them to be a little annoying.

They can do SMS though, which is huge. I have BlueStacks running the fongo app on my PC, and when a customer texts me I can paste email length messages easily.