spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RyanCharter

@charter.com

Lag Spikes, Lag on Xbox as well

Hey there guys, I am really wondering if you can help me. Over these last 3 months or so, I started noticing that when I was playing games online that I would get lag spikes for about a second at a time in maybe 3 minute increments. It was annoying, yet I thought it was just the game servers. After asking around a bit though, I found out that no-one else was getting these lag spikes. That is when I started looking at my internet as the issue.
I am kind of a novice at networking and such, but I knew how to do a ping test -t, and I started pinging different websites. That is when I would see Timeouts and lag spikes of about 1000-1500ms even to sites such as google, where my average ping is around 30.
After calling and calling, I had some techs come out. They replaced some lines, and said that I had to have a Home Run done by an electrician. Well 200 dollars later, I got that finished, yet was still seeing this lag. Finally, the other day we had a guy come out and spent 5 hours looking for the cause of this lag saying that there was a lot of ingress on some of the lines. Well he came by 2 days later saying that the ingress is clean at this point and that it is probably a server issue.
Well I knew this wasn't the case, as Google servers and Xbox servers don't go bad at the exact same second in the ping tests.
My question to you guys is: What do I do to get rid of these lag spikes and overall lag? I have all new lines, new router, and a new modem, yet nothing is helping these lag spikes I get. The packet loss seems to have been fixed though.
One thing I began today is a Ping Plotter program. Having watched it for hours, I can say that I am getting most of the lag spikes from the 5th and 11th hop, both having Charter Ip's, which are in St. Louis, I believe. If it would help, I can upload a picture of what I am talking about.
Anyway, I really need help guys. I pay too much for internet (30down5up)to not be able to play the games I want. Any insight would be good. I have alot of supervisors numbers.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Said by RyanCharter:
"I pay too much for internet (30down5up)to not be able to play the games I want."

Sorry this is absolutely no help and this is TOTAL sarcasm, but how dare you say you pay to much for Charters cheapest/lowest tier! Do you expect it to be free or something? Also, the plan is 30down/4up.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to RyanCharter

Edit:
Oops! Stupid slow running website. Didn't have patience to wait for this site to load.

Ryancharter

@charter.com

Considering that we pay over 200 for cable internet and tv per month, Id say thats alot. And the fact that Ive come out of pocket to make repairs that didnt help the issue.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Exactly why I said TOTAL sarcasm!

I KNOW the feeling!! Even if I only pay $114 for tv and internet.
--
The Firefox alternative.

Ryancharter

@charter.com

My thing is, how do I show them that its their issue?

Killzone7

@charter.com
reply to RyanCharter

I've been having the exact same problem for the past 4 days, now having had the modem replaced TWICE, lines on the outside replaced, 2 techs sent to my house, and 4 phone calls, it seems to have been reduced, but still not eliminated, swear I'm about to switch to another company if this sh*t isn't fixed soon. I'm sick and tired of Charter's BS.

DaSneaky1D
what's up
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou
reply to RyanCharter

Do you have any of your interfaces "hard-coded" to a particular speed/duplex?

Ryancharter

@charter.com

I do not. I noticed something today though. I have a netgear wndr4300 and I was messing with the settings and I put my IP on a DMZ and the lag severely diminished. Any other steps I can take?

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1

What kind of router? Your description sounds like a similar symptom I've heard when SPI (stateful packet inspection) is enabled. A lot times people with issues could disable this option and saw great improvement.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to Ryancharter

said by Ryancharter :

I do not. I noticed something today though. I have a netgear wndr4300 and I was messing with the settings and I put my IP on a DMZ and the lag severely diminished. Any other steps I can take?

That just about defeats the purpose of having a router, doesn't it? Same with disabling SPI, too, right? May as well just disable every setting in there, in that case.
--
The Firefox alternative.

Rampage522

join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL
kudos:1

You still get some security benefits with SPI disabled. It's a nice-to-have feature, but a router probably shouldn't be your primary security implementation anyway.

Besides, it's a troubleshooting step. If turning off SPI fixes it, then you see if the router vendor has updated firmware that fixes SPI.

Not all answers are reached in one step.